• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Identifying 2.8 vs 2.6

How to ID 2.6 or 2.8?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
So I'm preparing to get back to my Series I 2.8 conversion after a lengthy delay. Not much left to do besides the gauges and resolve another Holley carb needle valve issue (that stalled the conversion in the first place).

Meanwhile the phone rings and a guy has a free (me to come get it) v6 someone crammed into an MGA, sitting in his back lot.

He's an MG guy, has no knowledge of the engine.

It might be good for parts?

I went by there today; it's really a tight fit.

Is there an easy, sure fire way to eyeball the engine and tell if it's a 2.6 or a 2.8?

TIA,

Allan Ballard
-AtlantaIMG_3679.JPG IMG_3678.JPG IMG_3681.JPG IMG_3680.JPG IMG_3679.JPG IMG_3678.JPG IMG_3681.JPG IMG_3680.JPG IMG_3683.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3683.JPG
    IMG_3683.JPG
    396 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Allan, I would not bother with it unless you just want to have a 2.6.

A sure fire way to identify a FORD V6 is the numbers/year/month on the backside of the right hand bank of cylinders. You will find them at the base of the distributor where you will find a bolt and clamp to secure the distributor.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I'll get back by there in the coming days, maybe soak every visible bolt with WD40 as a first step.

The MGA is outdoors sitting on gravel so making things happen could be interesting. At least its fairly level
ground :)

I have a few sets of 2.8 heads but no 2.6 heads.

From what I see on the internet: "The 2.6 heads make it possible to fit the Kugelfischer fuel injection system used on the Capri RS-2600" for the earlier 2.8 blocks.

I believe my 2.8 is a later block.

Using 2.6 heads for fuel injection probably brings about other issues, still it's something to think about :)

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Early Capri 2.8 also had the Euro 2 port exhaust. I would pursue the later 2.8.
Early Capris use the 2.6

As an option, for 1972, Mercury introduced a 2.6L Cologne V6, becoming the first American-market vehicle marketed by Ford Motor Company with a V6 engine. For 1974, the V6 was enlarged to 2.8L, as Ford revised castings for both the engine block and cylinder heads.

The second-generation Cologne V6 was introduced in 1974. It displaced 2.8 L; 170.4 cu in (2,792 cc) with a bore and stroke of 93.03 mm × 68.5 mm (3.66 in × 2.70 in), and used a geared camshaft design. While based on the 2.6, the larger bore necessitated a different block.[2] The European version used a "siamesed" two-port exhaust manifold, similar to the one used on the V4, while the American version used three-port heads.