• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

I have the coolest wife.................

Duke

Donation Time
So I am doing some work on the Tiger's engine and engine compartment.

I decided that the middle of winter in Kansas would be a great time to do it. Kansas in the winter is cold as $**t. Temps in the garage are above freezing but not at all conducive to painting.

So, here is the drill. All parts to be painted need to be washed in the house and dried. They then can be taped up and prepped for painting. The paint must remain inside (the bathroom just inside the garage door) so it is at a temp that is usable. Parts then get taken to the garage to be painted. Once the paint is applied and has dried some, it gets moved back in the house (bathroom with fan on) to warm up and cure.

Here is some picture of the heads that have been prepped for paint tomorrow morning.

tgrpts1_1.JPG

tgrpts2.JPG

The intake that has been through the process and is spending some time at "house temp".

tgrpts3_1.JPG

The bottom line is – I have an awesome wife that puts up with this crap!

alpine_64

Donation Time
Nice wife Duke... But i got ot say.. i might think of 2 on the board that out do that for tollerance/understanding of sunbeam obsession..

runner-up..

Jim Stone.. did your wife not buy you an O/D gearbox for your anniversary/birthday a few years back?

Bill Blue.. was it not you that used the oven in the kitchen to bake the ceramic coating on your pistons and valves.. assume you are either were single.. or are now :D

Duke

Donation Time
was it not you that used the oven in the kitchen to bake the ceramic coating on your pistons and valves..

I will be testing that tomorrow also. I will be mixing up two-part clear coat to apply to the intake manifold (hope to make it fuel proof). I plan on using the oven to bake it on also.....it may not go so well.

I am hoping for forgiveness rather than permission.

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
I got one better!

;) My Husband had to help me replace the slave cylinder before I said yes to his wedding proposal, so did I marry the love of my life or my No. 1 Alpine mechanic? BOTH!

See I would understand the whole painted tiger head in the bathroom.

Donna
:D

alpine_64

Donation Time
OK.. i guess i should own up to some tollerance here..

mum and dad... 6 months of having a SII hardtop in the dining room (i did hide it behind the curtains sometimes)

girlfriend.. for those who have been following my engine/trans removal and reinstall.. if you were wondering where i put the bonnet.. well when it went back on yesterday (24/01/2009) it left a mark in the carpet where it had been leaned against the wall in out living room for the last 8 months.. though in my defence. its really shiney and filled the wall up like a giant red feature mirror :p

I guess now all thats left is to remove the other bits from the living room.. te polished DVG manidolf on the coffee table.. the number plates onthe wall and the Tiger and alpine side embelems on the TV table..

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nice wife Duke... But i got ot say.. i might think of 2 on the board that out do that for tollerance/understanding of sunbeam obsession..

Bill Blue.. was it not you that used the oven in the kitchen to bake the ceramic coating on your pistons and valves.. assume you are either were single.. or are now :D

I did, also "baked" a 43 pound head at the same time....

Also, she never complained when I made up the fiberglass turbo to carb transition piece - on the kitchen table. Not to mention the number of times I have disassembled a carburetor on the kitchen table. That number has to rival the number of stars in the sky.

The last I heard, we are still married, she helped me install a rag top this past summer.

Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
I did, also "baked" a 43 pound head at the same time....
Bill

Bill, whats the cooking time on that and at what dereges.. do you take it out and turn after a given time?

Glad to hear you have household support.. i just get bad looks when i suggest assistance when working on the sunbeams.. the plea "but your hands will fit in there easily" never seems to assist my cause.. oh well.. at least i can keep parts in the house :p!

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim Stone.. did your wife not buy you an O/D gearbox for your anniversary/birthday a few years back?

Yep. For our 25th anniversary. In fact, most gift-giving occasions involve Alpine parts or tools in some fashion. Last birthday saw PayPal gift certificates, to pay for my next few eBay purchases. Those were what I thought I would use when I bought the Bill Atalla headers. Unfortunately, it turned out they were only good for things purchased on eBay. So, I ended up with double the intended presents. :D

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
...Almost forgot: For Christmas this year she had the headers ceramic coated and also got me a tank of CO2/Argon for my new Mig welder. Not everyone can say that his wife gave him a header for his birthday and gas for Xmas. :p

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
That's great! In the past my wife has got me a sand-blast cabinet, a 2-ton jack and a parts washer... not so much lately, since I think she feels I have every tool known to man. Silly girl. That isn't possible! :)

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Well my wife has never given me tools or any Sunbeam stuff.However its all her fault we are into sunbeams.When first married she would not drive my big 56 mercury.When she saw a brand new 62 Alpine she quoted get me one and I'll learn to drive,3 months later she had her drivers license.Now she only occassionally asks how much did that cost?Sometimes I'll tell her you really don't want to know.She always laughs and says well I guess its my fault.
She drove the First Sunbeam to work winter and summer and it never failed.
Oh yes she doesn't mind that it kept me home even if it was out in the Garage.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
It's a PLOT!

You guys got it all wrong... It's all about control. By supporting your Sunbeam affliction, they believe that will keep you from misbehaving. If you're merrily working in the garage, they know where you are!!!...

Now about the black helicopters, UFO's and the other conspiracies I see everywhere...:eek: The Loch Ness Monster is in the pool next door! At Elvis' secret hide out! Jimmy Hoffa just showed up with a six pack! And he and Elvis have a box with all the missing socks your dryer lost. Where's my camera?

Now, last thing...While we're on the subject...:eek: They got unmarried, equally understanding sisters???

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
You guys got it all wrong... It's all about control. By supporting your Sunbeam affliction, they believe that will keep you from misbehaving. If you're merrily working in the garage, they know where you are!!!...

All true. Add to that the fact she knew I was crazy (well, at least "different") way before we got hitched, she really has little reason to complain.

Bill

L

Lee DeRamus saoca0404

Last year I installed a new oven, now I doubt that I could bake finishes any more inside. The worst thing I have ever done is put parts in the dishwasher to clean them. IT WORKS GREAT!!!! In reality, it was old and we were getting a new one. It was never used for dishes after that.
Lee

Nickodell

Donation Time
My wife, or wife to be, introduced me to Sunbeams (apart from other things :rolleyes:). She had an indulgent Dad who bought her a new Rapier IIIa for her 21st birthday, which was convenient because we started dating the next year. Although I didn't get to drive it much, being in the service, and after separation had a series of company cars, it remained the "family bus" until we emigrated in 1969. In fact, we got in a bit of a panic as, although we'd had a few tire-kickers, it was still unsold three days before we flew out. Luckily, we sold it the next day. Phew.

Unfortunately, her dad lost his money in a failed business, so we inherited squat. It's not that I married her for his money, but still ....

Jim E

Donation Time
When my ex wife took "her" stuff and left I got to keep the two Alpines I owned both of which were in pieces scattered around several locations. She got the paid for Hemi Magnum in exchange, yeah nothing like a woman who understands about cars.

hahahahhahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahah... arrrrgggggggg

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
When my ex wife took "her" stuff and left I got to keep the two Alpines I owned both of which were in pieces scattered around several locations. She got the paid for Hemi Magnum in exchange, yeah nothing like a woman who understands about cars.

hahahahhahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahah... arrrrgggggggg

I would go AAAARRRRRGGGG as well.