• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Humber Hawk

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
As the only Rootes owner in my British car club, I was offered a 57 Humber Hawk. Usual strange story. Another member was contacted by the owner and 2 guys went to look at it. They said it was complete, not too bad body and interior wise, someone should save it, etc. etc. Owner claims it has been in his father's garage since 1967 when 'parked' for some long forgotten problem. They also said owner was a bit 'strange', insisted he really wanted it saved but had to get $525 (exactly) or it would go to the crusher. They suggested he sell it to an enthusiast who would save it, regardless of price offered.

I'm afraid to go look at it since if it's as good a as couple of reasonably smart guys say, I'd probably buy it (even for ~$500). Unfortunately, with 3 Alpines and a Minx drophead, I have no place to put it and little time to devote to it.

I'm getting more and more tempted to have a look since I'm a bit familiar with the Snipe but not the Hawk. Please talk me out of it or at least give me a bit of history on the model.

Thanks

Al

62 Canuck

Al,
My father was the Regional Manager for Rootes Motors here in Vancouver, and my mother used to drive a Hawk. If you have the opportunity to view this car please try to take a couple of pictures - I would be interested in it!

rootesrefuge

Donation Time
If it's truly a 1957 Hawk, then it's the Series bodystyle like Scott's Super Snipe or like my own. The major difference is the drivetrain, as the Hawk uses the 2.2 liter 4 cylinder as was used in the Sunbeam Talbots. Not a powerhouse, but a capable car, especially if it has the manual gearbox with overdrive. Bodywise, it would have a single headlight each side and a simpler grille. Personally, I find the Hawk front end to be a much cleaner design.

Certainly a car worth saving, especially if it's been in a weathertight garage for so many years. Drivetrain parts are very well built and durable, rust is the only real fear factor.

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
George,

Sent you a PM.

I finally got to look at it. It's not a rusted out hulk and appears more or less complete and intact. Hopefully, someone else will want it before I end up with it.

Attachments

• hawk4.jpg
    hawk4.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 67

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
It's a little hard to tell from the pix, but is that a hole in the bumper for a starter crank? It does look good from the front.

Ken

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
It's a little hard to tell from the pix, but is that a hole in the bumper for a starter crank? It does look good from the front.

Ken

Yes, they all had it, and it was covered by a chrome button with a rubber wedge on the back that pressed into the hole.

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
The Hawk went to a local guy who has a couple of hotrods and a Saturn 4cyl powered TR2. He's planning an original restoration.

I went to get it with him. After getting it out of the garage and into daylight I couldn't believe how good it was. Should have taken it myself. All it lacked was OD (if there was an OD option). Will post pics in about a year (if I remember).

lemansvk

Donation Time
I run a Yahoogroup for Humber owners, it would probably be handy for your local guy (or any other Humber owners watching) to join - we have members all over the world including a couple of pretty knowledgeable guys (not me:)). This is the page for the group

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/humbercars/

or PM me with an email address and I can send an invitation to join

Cheers, Vic

rootesrefuge

Donation Time
A Saturn engine in a TR2? Did he make his own bellhousing adapter? Always thought a Saturn 1.9 would make a great swap into my Arrow, but have never seen anybody do a RWD swap.

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Here is a bit more info Brian supplied on his tr2 conversion:

"I used a 1992 -1994 throtle body injected engine from a SL1 and an autonmatic trans computer I prefer the automatic computer the newer ones up to 1999 will work as well with a little work I had to relocate te alternator , but not a real big Job The bellhousing fits all 2.8 and 2.5 engines for rear wheel drive chev S-10 trucks as well as 2.8 litre camaros The top 2 bolts fit well and 3/8 in must be filles off the end of the input shaft A bracket is requireed on the bottom 2 bolts but I can supply a template or a brkt if you need I used a t-5 trans from a camaro or s-10 , the shifter housing is from
a camaro to get the shifter in the correct location a chevette transmission would work as well as it is a t-5 also I used the saturn pressure plate and flywhell with an 8.5" clutch disc from a chevette Machined a pilot bushing for the saturn engine as it does not come with one on the front drive application
I built the motor mounts to fit the original triumph mounting holes and original mount The rear trans mount is s-10 with a bracket to fit the original triumph holes as well Removed all unessary wires from the computer put a switch in for park or drive which allows for rpm limits of 4000 In park and 6000 in drive I hav eincluded pics before and after Top speed in 4th is doudle the speed limit and 5th gives 2200 rpm at 100 kmh fuel mileage is 40 mpg and better if at 120kmh,, 100kmh comes up in 7-8 secs depending in traction engine only weighs 175 pounds complette and trans is 65 pounds and the total with clucth and all is still less than 280 pounds "

Attachments

• tr.jpg
    tr.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 35

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
"I used a 1992 -1994 throtle body injected engine from a SL1. and an automatic trans computer. I prefer the automatic computer to the newer ones -- up to 1999 will work as well, with a little work. I had to relocate the alternator, but not a real big job. The bellhousing fits all 2.8 and 2.5 engines for rear wheel drive Chev S-10 trucks, as well as 2.8 litre Camaros. The top 2 bolts fit well, and 3/8" must be filed off the end of the input shaft. A bracket is required on the bottom 2 bolts, but I can supply a template or a bracket if you need.

I used a T-5 trans from a Camaro or S-10, and the shifter housing is from a Camaro to get the shifter in the correct location. A Chevette transmission would work as well, as it is a T-5 also. I used the Saturn pressure plate and flywheel, with an 8.5" clutch disc from a Chevette. I machined a pilot bushing for the Saturn engine, as it does not come with one on the front drive application.

I built the motor mounts to fit the original Triumph mounting holes and original mount. The rear trans mount is S-10 with a bracket to fit the original Triumph holes, as well. Removed all unessary wires from the computer and put a switch in for park or drive, which allows for RPM limits of 4000 in park and 6000 in drive. I have included pics before and after. Top speed in 4th is double the speed limit, and 5th gives 2200 rpm at 100 kmh. Fuel mileage is 40 mpg, and better if at 120kmh. 100kmh comes up in 7-8 secs, depending on traction. Engine only weighs 175 pounds complete, and trans is 65 pounds... and the total with clutch and all is still less than 280 pounds."

(Been editing all day, and I couldn't help myself.)

rootesrefuge

Donation Time
I run the parts department at a Saturn retailer, and have seen a lot of those 1.9 engines apart. Even after 100,000 miles, the bores are still cross-hatched. Tear them down, new standard size rings and bearings, and they're ready for another 100,000. A really nice, solid little engine.

I'll have to do a little more research, thanks!!