• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

How many passenger seats?

V_Mad

Donation Time
An unsual question for the forum, how many passengers are the Alpines & Tigers designed to carry? Is there a statement on this in the owners handbook or other available manufacturers literature?

The reason for this is that, as a volunteer driver at my local museum I am only allowed to carry passengers in "seats designated for that purpose" and in a manner that passengers must be "properly seated". Apart from that, I think it is also pertinent to any insurance policy for any car driver.

I think the Alpine & Tiger is a 2+2 so in theory I can carry up to three passengers, although in practice no one can put their legs down behind my seat whilst I am driving, so I will only carry up to two people.

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
The 1964 Sales Brochure states that for the Sports Tourer "The occasional seat at the rear will accommodate children or luggage".

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Chris,

That is very generous of you to volunteer your Alpine or Tiger as well as your time. Is a classic car drive a new addition to the Museum's exhibits?

Regards, Robin.

V_Mad

Donation Time
Hi Robin
I am a volunteer in the motoring section at Brooklands. I do two jobs there, firstly I drive visitors around the historic racing circuit in my Tiger (sometimes Alpine), and secondly I help restore historic race cars. I feel very lucky and privileged to be there and I have such fun, as well as enjoying the company of many talented volunteers.

What do you know about the seats?

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Brooklands_Test_Hill.jpg

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Chris,

I am jealous now. What a great job to volunteer for and I thought being a volunteer fire fighter was rewarding. Personally, I really wouldn't call it a seat but there are period pictures showing people using them for children (I have also heard of people carrying a baby capsule in their Alpine). I think they are only a two seater, but others may differ in opinion. I don't know about the insurance side of things in the UK, but I would stick with one passenger (the passenger get a bigger thrill and you get to go around the track more often).

Regards, Robin. :)

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
In all the publicity photos I've ever seen they show only kids, dogs, or luggage in the rear "seat", so while technically I suppose you could carry up to four adults with the seats moved forwards, it's not very realistic.