• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

How do I post a photo?

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I see other members posting nice photos but when I try it they are always much too large to take. Who ever responds, please type slowly, I thought the rotary phone was a great advance...

Thanks!

alpine_64

Donation Time
When you are doing a post (as i am now) in the top of the text box is a toolbar with some icons, to insert a pic into the post you can eitherlink it from an online soucre by clicking the icon that looks like picture (mountain image and will say insert image as you hover over it).. or to upload from your computer use the attach icon that looks like a paper clip. HTH

gordonra

Donation Time
I see other members posting nice photos but when I try it they are always much too large to take.
Thanks!

You need to resize the photo so that it fits the upload requirements displayed when you click on the paper clip icon while in the compose message window.

The max files size and resolution varies depending on the image type.

If you have a web server of your own, you can also paste a link to the photo.

Hope this helps....

Rich

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Tech stuff

Who ever responds, please type slowly, I thought the rotary phone was a great advance...

Same here. I've been told all this stuff has something to do with 1's and Zero's. So help me out with this. My first computer was the size of a small suitcase, a couple of megabytes and 5.25 floppy discs. My iPod is about the size of the logo on my first computer and holds 8 gigabytes. How do they make the one's and zero's so small? :confused:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Same here. I've been told all this stuff has something to do with 1's and Zero's. So help me out with this. My first computer was the size of a small suitcase, a couple of megabytes and 5.25 floppy discs. My iPod is about the size of the logo on my first computer and holds 8 gigabytes. How do they make the one's and zero's so small? :confused:

They don't. The 'puters these days can be so small because they contain so many ones and zeros.

Bill

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
How do you resize?

You need to resize the photo so that it fits the upload requirements displayed when you click on the paper clip icon while in the compose message window.

The max files size and resolution varies depending on the image type.

If you have a web server of your own, you can also paste a link to the photo.

Hope this helps....

Rich

Do you fool with the photo in Paint somehow or on the saved image itself? I see guys put full photos and/or thumbnails on posts but don't know how they do it. (I still have breaker ignition...on my car, not the Commodore 64)

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Do you fool with the photo in Paint somehow or on the saved image itself? I see guys put full photos and/or thumbnails on posts but don't know how they do it. (I still have breaker ignition...on my car, not the Commodore 64)

Some of the Microsoft products may have the feature needed for posting attached thumbnails, I dunno. I use a shareware program (Vueprint) that has a "resize" feature. Images are resized downward to something lower than the max allowed. I'd think that freeware is out there with a better way to do it than Vueprint. The "resize" feature may go by some other term for other programs, and may be more sophisticated as well.

Allan

rnimares

Donation Time
how do I create new post

Ok, I'm stupid. so help me out. I want to create a new post
how do I do that?

Rick:confused::confused:

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Rick,
Go to the Red S logo about an inch under "HOME", and just to its right you'll see "The SAOCA Forum > Non Alpine.... and so forth. Put your mouse over "The SAOCA Forum" and click -- that'll take you to the Forum main page. Mull over which topic should be blessed with your post, and click it. (Alpine Parts For Sale, for example.) Go down to the bottom of the listings, and you'll see a rectangular button on the left that says "Start New Thread" or something like that. Click that, and you'll be presented with a screen asking for a thread title, and your posting information. Write up your query, and click 'preview' to pre-screen it, and probably 'submit' to actually post it. (If you need to look around the site to gather information, do it from a newly-launched browser window. I believe if you click 'back' to go look at something else, then your post-in-the-making will have vanished.) Then all that is necessary is to sit back and allow us to bask in your thoughtful prose.

You can get there from the Home page by clicking on SAOCA FORUM across the top, too. But basically, you need to exit the "reply to this post" area.

Good luck -- we'll be watching!
Ken

Nickodell

Donation Time
Tracy: I was as befuddled as you until someone put me onto a free picture hosting site called Photobucket (www.photobucket.com). After you register with the usual user name and password, you can transfer photos or other art work from your computer (e.g. from MyPictures) to this hosting site, and from there to the forum.

Go to the section "Images from my PC" that appears at the upper right of the Photobucket home page. Click on one of the "Browse" boxes. Initially it will give you a drop-down menu of your various computer sites, but once you direct it to MyPictures it will go there automatically in future.

Double left click on the picture you want to transfer, and then on "Upload." A loading bar will appear showing you the progress of the upload - unless you have a very slow comp it will only take a few seconds. After it has loaded, scroll down the page until you see your picture. Underneath it is a selection of formats. Double left click on the bottom one (IMG Code) and then right click, then left click COPY.

That's it! When you post to a forum site, at the point you want the picture to appear right click and then click "Paste." All you'll see is a bunch of computer babble, but when you complete your post you'll see your picture exactly as it is in MyPictures. Just like the one of me and my double-engined "Twinpine"
TheTwinpine.jpg

There is one snag that sometimes turns up, and that is that the picture appears too large on your post on the forum. Send me a PM and I'll tell you how to correct that.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Nick!

I'll try that out. For now, I've been having my daughter resize photos. She is patient but running low of that!

wframe

Donation Time
There are lots of "Free-ware" programs that will resize your images. I use one called ASmallerImage that I got free when I register with http://www.maxpatchink.com/index.shtml

I have a general forum user opinion question:
Which is preferred, posting a link to a picture (using the mountain icon) or attaching a file using the Attach Files option in Additional Options?

Using the link uses less of the storage space at SAOCA but shows the image directly in the post, like Nickodell's TwinPine post below. It also requires that you have the picture loaded somewhere on the web. Using the Attach Files options requires that the image be upload to the SAOCA website. This options results in a thumbnail image below the post, as below.

Attachments

• ASIAlpineLtSide4.jpg
    ASIAlpineLtSide4.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 16

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
There was really nice free product called PrintKey 2000. It works with XP and it works on my Vista Home Premium laptop. I was trying to find a link but it seems it's not available at the moment. Another product call PrintKey-Pro is available for $19.99. Haven't used it, but I've used PrintKey for several years and have been happy with it. You can resize, select a part of a picture and adjust contrast, brightness and color levels, rotate and reverse the image.

As for the 0's and 1's in the computer:

The are 10 types of people that understand binary.
Those that do and those that don't.