• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

How do I know an Alpine Water Pump Is Bad?

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Yes, I am that stupid.

I've never tried to figure out if a Water Pump on anything is good, bad or otherwise but since my car decided to pee Antifreeze everywhere, I figured I'd start by going through everything I got, starting with the Water Pump. Beyond spinning it and it squeaking, what other signs am I looking for that tells me the pump is cooked?

This is for a 1725, in case that makes a difference and there are specific things I should look for due to that.

Thanks in advance!!

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Try to cant on the outer edge of the fan blade ( blade installed). If the pump rotor shows more than a slight bit of play, it's better to renew/rebuild the pump...

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yes, there is the wobble or play that you'd see and feel when the bearing is bad, but there is a weep hole
on the bottom of the pump that will leak coolant when the seals go. Then there is the issue with the aluminum
bodied pumps with the plastic impellers that don't work as well as the cast pumps with the steel impellers
do. The only place I've been able to get the "good" pumps is Classic Sunbeam. Rick , last time I needed one,
doesn't sell them any longer.