• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hot Starting Problem

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

While away on the Sunbeam nationals this past weekend, I experienced first hand the dreaded hot starting issues with the Tiger's :mad: . While some of you may have never had this issue, it happened to me a number of times over the weekend. You also only have to pump the peddle one too many times and wham!! it's flooded. My Dad used to put it down to a problem with the engine immobilser, but it definately is heat related. At the moment I am running the stock inlet manifold and two barrel. I have my new aluminium manifold and carby, but that is a little way off.
Does the stock iron manifold retain the heat more than aluminium? What have others done to try and rectify this issue? I have a spacer with the water inlet plumbed through it as well as the crankcase vent system.

I would appreciate some advice,

Regards, Robin.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Can't help other than trying a different brand of fuel, but do have a question about the engine immobilizer. That is the first time I have ever heard of that terminology. Could you explain a little just what it is and does?

Bill

mikephillips

Donation Time
I've always read that the Autolite 2 bbl was a flood prone carb. I have a LAT2 alloy manifold with 4bbl and all I need to do is let the fuel pump run for a few seconds to ensure it's full up, a pump on the pedal and it starts right up. Was like that when I had the carb on a cast iron Mustang manifold as well. I'd say the answer is to swap for your other setup. You can do it in an afternoon without moving the engine, or even pulling the distributor.

V_Mad

Donation Time
I had similar problems, but when I fitted the new 4bbl carb with phenolic spacer I have had no problems with hot start after I had sorted a few issues.

What fuel pump are you using? What colour are the plugs?
What is the fuel line in the engine bay, is it metal, rubber etc.?

64beam

Donation Time
Can't help other than trying a different brand of fuel, but do have a question about the engine immobilizer. That is the first time I have ever heard of that terminology. Could you explain a little just what it is and does?

Bill

Hi Bill,

I had been running the engine on a lower octane fuel this last weekend due to the price going through the roof. The immobiliser on the car is a low end car alarm without the alarm siren, which switches off isolates the igntion circuit when on. It has a remote control to turn it on/off.

Regards, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
Thanks Mike and Chris for the replies. I still need to get some gaskets, etc for the installation of my new manifold and carby which should not be too far away. The Mustang's have much more room in the engine bay as well. I am still running the standard fuel pump, not sure about the spark plugs, and the fuel line is the standard metal type from the filter at the front of the engine.
The other option until the conversion, is to replace the spacer with a phenolic type. Are the Holley two barrels and the Autolite two barrels the same base stud pattern?

Regards, Robin.

64beam

Donation Time
BAD ROBIN!!!

Yes I know Michael, I have been bad. My motor is not high performance like yours though. It was a shame you could'nt make it up to Echuca. It was a great showing of Sunbeams. Wally's car looks amazing and those brakes of his are huge!

Regards, Robin.

V_Mad

Donation Time
... I am still running the standard fuel pump, not sure about the spark plugs, and the fuel line is the standard metal type from the filter at the front of the engine.
The other option until the conversion, is to replace the spacer with a phenolic type. Are the Holley two barrels and the Autolite two barrels the same base stud pattern?

Regards, Robin.
Standard fuel pump is OK, if you are sure thats the case. High pressure pumps can flood the carb. If plugs are black you will have probs with hot starting. Metal fuel lines in engine bay are not good unless well insulated as heat can cause vapour locks. The 4bbl spacer will not fit the standard 2bbl carb base.

64beam

Donation Time
Standard fuel pump is OK, if you are sure thats the case. High pressure pumps can flood the carb. If plugs are black you will have probs with hot starting. Metal fuel lines in engine bay are not good unless well insulated as heat can cause vapour locks. The 4bbl spacer will not fit the standard 2bbl carb base.

Hi Chris,

The pump definately is the stock Tiger pump and I pulled a plug and it was nice and brown on the electrode. The only other thing I may need to check is the spark plug gap. When the engine had stopped, I felt the carby and it was quite hot, but I did'nt check the fuel line. I think the problem is more in the carby that the fuel line. Next time I might remove the air cleaner and see if I am getting fuel through or just vapour.

Thanks, Robin.