• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hood vent (Bonnet)

Billm

Gold Level Sponsor
FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_1820.JPG I have been thinking of putting vents into the hood of my car. Was thinking of putting in NACA style vents or slots in the hood. I was looking at a photo of a Triumph Gt6 which had vents in the sailpanels. Some are painted and some are chrome. Found some on flea bay. When I opened the package, the seller enclosed the inner duct and interior trim piece. I know have two choices with the Triumph parts. I could use the louered chrome pieces or the aluminum slotted pieces. Will work on this over the winter. The chrome vents have three studs for mounting And the smaller pieces needs screw fasteners. Also picked up a spare hood to work on. Some sample scotch tape mountings!

alpine_64

Donation Time
The HSC55 tiger had 2 slot extracts at the rear of the bonnet. Bill Martin on rootes depot did a replica of that hood for Bill Doolittles Tiger.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
OR MAYBE SOMETHING LIKE THIS FOR VENTS.WE'VE ALSO USED SLOTS AT THE BACK OF THE HOOD ON ONE CAR AS MICHAEL SAID.IMG_1207.JPG

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hey Joel, using the works tiger rootes rally style wing vents.. Apparently the most effective location...

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
When the car is moving forward, the back of the hood / base of the windshield is an aerodynamic high pressure area. On the other hand, the flanks of the fenders are an aerodynamic low pressure area. Seems to me that "exhaust vents" would be much more effective in an area of low aerodynamic pressure.

Billm

Gold Level Sponsor
IMG_0022.JPG IMG_0044.JPG Joel thanks for the photo. My skill level isn't there for that mod. I do like that vent and the other fender vents that I have seen. I am going to try some vents on sheet metal similar to the hood scoop you recently made only a lot smaller and inside the hood. I saw an Alfa that had louvers that had the shaped fin(?) portion on the underside of the hood that looked nice. Michael is this the slotted hood you talked about? I also,like the round vents of this blue hood. I am going to practice on some scrap metal over the winter. I, also have thought about pulling the under hood support metal from the hood and cutting some holes in it to lighten it up. Joel has this on his trunk lid frames work on his car. Looks real nice.These small hood do weigh a lot. .IMG_1778.JPGBill

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
View attachment 14902 View attachment 14903 Joel thanks for the photo. My skill level isn't there for that mod. I do like that vent and the other fender vents that I have seen. I am going to try some vents on sheet metal similar to the hood scoop you recently made only a lot smaller and inside the hood. I saw an Alfa that had louvers that had the shaped fin(?) portion on the underside of the hood that looked nice. Michael is this the slotted hood you talked about? I also,like the round vents of this blue hood. I am going to practice on some scrap metal over the winter. I, also have thought about pulling the under hood support metal from the hood and cutting some holes in it to lighten it up. Joel has this on his trunk lid frames work on his car. Looks real nice.These small hood do weigh a lot. .View attachment 14904Bill

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Bill we cut most of the sheet metal out from the under side of the current hood still weighs too much the goal is glass at some point we're also going to bleed the air into the wheel wells as mentioned just blow the vent deal off

alpine_64

Donation Time
View attachment 14902 View attachment 14903 Michael is this the slotted hood you talked about? I also,like the round vents of this blue hood. I am going to practice on some scrap metal over the winter. I, also have thought about pulling the under hood support metal from the hood and cutting some holes in it to lighten it up. Joel has this on his trunk lid frames work on his car. Looks real nice.These small hood do weigh a lot. .View attachment 14904Bill
Yes thats Bills car i was referring to.

As for the holes drilled in the underside of the inner skin, seen that on a few cars, steve alcala made them iirc.

Infact steve has an alumimium skinned bonnet and boot for sale at a very reasonable price currently and a minimal inner frame trunk lid... Might be worth contacting him.. Think he listed some on ebay a week back

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here is a PIC of some side vents I'm playing with for one of my V6's. A reduced version of the Tiger vents Jim (our President has).

Attachments

• Alpine - Tiger Engine Compartment thru Fender Vents for heat releif by DanR   20180828_181827.jpg
    Alpine - Tiger Engine Compartment thru Fender Vents for heat releif by DanR 20180828_181827.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 64

Billm

Gold Level Sponsor
Dan those vents look nice. Are they metal? Could they be printed on a three D printer? Watched reality show where they were working on a 300 SL kit car and they reworked the body and the side vents. I am amazed what they can do with metal, fiberglass and a printer! Bitchin Rides

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan those vents look nice. Are they metal? Could they be printed on a three D printer? Watched reality show where they were working on a 300 SL kit car and they reworked the body and the side vents. I am amazed what they can do with metal, fiberglass and a printer! Bitchin Rides

They are printed. Biggest problem was getting good angles and dimensions!

I prefer these over the larger "tiger" size. To me they look more proportional yet functional.

Will get my guys to do an air flow for me (hopefully).

I'll send more pics on the inner fender mount as soon as I can find where I stored them....

Attachments

• 20180828_182103.jpg
    20180828_182103.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 20180919_105233.jpg
    20180919_105233.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 20180828_182045.jpg
    20180828_182045.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 60