• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hood support arm retaining pin?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Only when working on the trunk lid such as removing, replacing or adjusting have I had a problem holding it in place. I was kidding about the rod being needed.

A good set of springs have never failed me!

But, of course the gas shocks might be a good option.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
This little rod....

Twospeed, Could (and would) you please post some additional PIC's ?

Looks interesting,

RootesRich

Donation Time
The simple way of preventing the trunk lid from crashing down is to take a 8-10" zip tie (length isn't important but you want 1/8"+ width for shear resistance) and wrap it around both arms at the hinge. A single zip tie will do at each arm. This effectively locks the hinge preventing it from folding, so the trunk stays in the full open position.
You can also use this technique to make removing the trunk springs easier as you now have plenty of leverage with a locked arm.
I used this tip this afternoon as I needed to pull the pax side gas tank after my 2 year old son dropped a bolt down the filler cap. I had the tank in and out in a hour. I still have the zip ties locking the hinges so if I get a chance later this weekend I'll post a pic.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
So odd. Of all the parts, I've never remotely had an issue with the springs on the trunks of any of my Alpines or Tiger. They always firmly and smartly hold up the trunk.

It has been a long time, but I seem to recall there may have been multiple holes that the spring could be mounted into. Could it be that some of the cars are mounted into the wrong holes?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Wrong Holes....?

Jay, You are absolutely correct about "holes" for selective adjustment!

Just went and looked.

Thinking back, I almost never leave my trunk "open" for long periods of time except maybe at an Event?

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
pin

the old guy that restored the bodies of my cars is a master at getting everything set up right concerning the springs. he has the trunk lids set so that it never comes down on your head and all you have to do to close it is to start pulling it down and it closes and latches without a bang. no dents,no scratches, nothing. he does use the multiple holes for the springs.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yep! It's got holes!

Bob, I just went out and looked. You and Jay are correct, there are three holes on each side of my '65 SIV where the springs can be "selectively" attached.

Two round holes and one elongated each side.

I just never apparently used the holes.... just the end of the bracket.