• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hood support arm retaining pin?

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a series V. The arm that you use to hold the hood/bonnet open has a small hole in the end, presumably to allow a pin to be inserted to ensure the arm does not accidentally slip out of the hood hole, resulting the hood falling shut.

I currently do not have any sort of retaining pin for the support arm. My question is whether the car originally came with some sort of retaining pin for the support arm.

Thanks,
Mike

65beam

Donation Time
pin

I have been around alpines since 1965 and I don't remember them having a pin when new but that was not something I worried about. I can tell you that most cars I see at shows now have a small hitch pin in use. you don't worry about the hood coming loose and body panels getting mashed and scratched. it's only common sense to use the pin.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
My ´64 Series IV had a hole in the rod to be able to put a pin in it to keep the rod from being pushed out while working under the hood.

Jose

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
Interesting topic and a good idea.
I have owned Alpines since 1963 and never thought of such a pin and never had a support rod knocked loose when the hood was up- just lucky, I guess. Tomorrow, I will check the hood on our Series IV to see if I can find such a hole. :)

YEP, the pin hole is there and I will begin to use it when servicing the engine.

Last edited:

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
I just have a split pin sitting loose in the hood latch recess. When I'm working in the engine bay I drop the pin into the hole in the prop rod. That same split pin has been sitting loose in the latch recess for the 17 years I've had the car.
Cheers,
Paul.

Beeman

Donation Time
Using a lock pin makes good sense. A tractor type P pin would be ideal. Interesting though that Rootes don't mention pins in the Owners manual or the parts manual. Perhaps mechanics were made of sterner stuff then. A hood dropping on the head was an acceptable occupational hazard.

twospeed

Donation Time
I have a series V. The arm that you use to hold the hood/bonnet open has a small hole in the end, presumably to allow a pin to be inserted to ensure the arm does not accidentally slip out of the hood hole, resulting the hood falling shut.

I currently do not have any sort of retaining pin for the support arm. My question is whether the car originally came with some sort of retaining pin for the support arm.

Thanks,
Mike
This is what I did--hair-pin clip and small cable.

Attachments

• IMG_2500.jpg
    IMG_2500.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 84

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
Two speed,
That is a nicely finished engine compartment you have there.
Is that sound insulation on the center of the hood?

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
The reason I asked is that my red 1963 series III had a factory sound deadening pad in the same place under the hood. So I wondered if yours had one also.

RootesRich

Donation Time
The reason I asked is that my red 1963 series III had a factory sound deadening pad in the same place under the hood.

This sounds (no pun intended) like the insulation and retainer cage that came with the GT models.

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
Rich,
You may be right, but I was never sure what features a GT had.
I bought mine used when it was one year old and it had :
Factory hard top and soft top,
Electric overdrive,
Lucas road lamps,
Factory luggage rack on boot,
GB badge,
Michelin tires,
Factory three point seat belts,
Dual down draft Zenith carbs,
Single air filter feeding both carbs,
Under hood sound insulation,
Sun visors,
Tonneau,
Owner and service manuals,
tool kit,
Spare tire.

It may have just been a custom order, but it was well equipped and I would have kept it as a pet, but it lost out to my wife's 1965 Alpine when we began to have kids and needed a larger car.

After owning a TR3A, the Alpine was a real pleasure to drive on the highway.

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Some ST's also came with a 'dusty climate' (or something like that) spec. My S3 ST (soft-top and hard-top) had the single 'can' air-cleaner, Zenith WIA-3 carbs, and a single outlet exhaust manifold. It doesn't have the sound deadener under the bonnet, but the bonnet has been resprayed, so it may have been removed.

My understanding is that the gauze air filters are no good in dusty situations, which meant the GT can filter was used, which reduced air volume, so the WIA-3 carbs were used and a more restrictive exhaust manifold. Not sure how under-bonnet insulation fits into that logic....

Hope that helps.
Paul.

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
Greenbeam,
The dusty climate air cleaner worked well in Texas and should have been installed on all cars shipped to dusty areas.

BTW, Last week we had four house guests from Australia who were vacationing in the US. They should have just arrived back at the Sydney airport yesterday. One of them actually recognized my car as an Alpine!
:cool:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I always use my cotter pin when I raise the hood.

I have five Alpines and "all" have the hole for the pin (s).

Never saw an Alpine that didn't have that provision.

Wish my trunk lid had something like that especially after it fell on my head last year while hooking up the springs.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I wish the trunk lid had the same safety feature. I have had the trunk lid fall down on my head while working in there. Of course, the trunk latch hit me on my poor bald head each time. You know, that can get to be irritating, after the second time it happens.

Jose