• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hood (Bonnet) prop rod.

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
When did the prop rod change from the middle of the hood to the side. I have 2 Series I and both are in the rear of the hood. My new Series Two has it on the side. Can someone send me a close up photo of where the rod attaches to the hood.

Thanks,

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Nobody really knows unless we can find the two cars where they switched it. It took place somewhere in the middle. I think it was most likely around the time they change the dash from silver to black.

P

Wombat

Donation Time
Apparently happenned when the hinges were changed to allow the bonnet to open further. Will check my parts book this evening.

napa 1

Donation Time
My hood prop on my series one just leans loose against the upper passenger side indent in the hood. Should it actually fit into some sort of bracket? There doesn't appear to have ever been anything for it to fit into.

Pumpkin

Donation Time
Bonnet

The change came in the ser lll -lV, as I remember that, was when some one really had a need to see the engine. and it was easier to remove the radiator . Actually there were many reasons for the change and I would believe that the manufacturing and assembly had something to do with that. I do wish my ser ll had that setup.

The ser ll, bonnet rod is supposed to had a clip, or catch to hold the rod in a solid state..
if you wish I could photo it for you.
chuck,,, in Ore.

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
My Series II has the prop on the side. Not sure of the vin but I think it is
B911181 or somewhere around there.

Anyone have some hood hinges that open more than the Series I for sale.

skywords

Donation Time
I have seen this movie. I tried to do just this and fit my Series II hinges on my Series I to get the hood to open further but soon found out the grill work does not allow it without some modifying. I am no expert on this subject but had this problem arise. I remember what a %$#@ it was getting a grill off that has been on a car since the dawn of eternity so I reinstalled my Series I hinges with a heavy heart.

I have the Series II hood/bonnet with the support on the side. I can send a picture if you like or give you dimensions. I was just going to make a longer Series I style rod for mine.

Rick

Wombat

Donation Time
My parts book shows 3 different bonnet props.

First one parks across the scuttle and applies up to B9002706
Second one also parks across the scuttle and aplies up to B9110816
Third type parks on the right of the engine bay and applies from B9110817 onwards (until late Series IV, dunnow about Series V)

Haven't seen any of this in the flesh so I will stand to be corrected

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Nobody really knows unless we can find the two cars where they switched it. It took place somewhere in the middle. I think it was most likely around the time they change the dash from silver to black.

P

I should have clarrified that as "half way through the Series II".

P

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
My parts book shows 3 different bonnet props.

Third type parks on the right of the engine bay and applies from B9110817 onwards

There it is there, as we thought, about half way through the Series II. Never knew the exact car so thanks for the info Wombat!

napa 1

Donation Time
And then the next question is...did each version have something that the rod attached to on the hood itself. Mine doesn't have any bracket for the rod end to secure against on the underside of the hood, so I just sort of lean it into the top corner of the hood. I've noticed on some alpines that there was an attachment point connected to the striker area. I'm wondering if I'm missing something on my hood.

Wombat

Donation Time
The parts book shows 4 different part numbers for the Series I and II bonnet. The first 3 are marked as being superseded by the fourth (2217045). The notes on this part say "Bonnet panel (Less stay retainer bracket)". The bracket is listed seperately.

Reading between the lines I think the 3 superseded bonnets had the brackets in the appropriate loctions for the 3 different props. Rootes then got tired of keeping that inventory, and supplied the bonnet and the bracket separately so the customer could put the bracket where it was needed. John, looks like yours has had a replacement bonnet at some time and the bracket was not fitted.

I have a SIV and can't be certain where the bracket is supposed to be fitted on the SI, but there should be one there.

napa 1

Donation Time
Yes, I think you're right about the replacement bonnet. I'm going to keep my eyes open for a suitable bracket. ......I've got to get me one of those parts books!...but in the mean time, thanks for being the resource!