• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hood/Bonnet Hinges

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Are the hinges the same on all models or is there a difference and when did it occur?

Thanks,

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
They are different and one doesn't want to mix them up. Its early vers late. I think series 1-3 and series IV-V (when the grill changed)
Jan

napa 1

Donation Time
Series I hinges don't open very wide. With the series two model, the hinges were re-designed to open the bonnet to a more vertical position. Easier to work under.

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
What Series did the Hood holder Rod move from the cowl to the passenger side?

So I should look for Series II to get the hood open on my Series II. Body came to me void of any attachments.

napa 1

Donation Time
rod position on my series I is across the cowl, and on my series II it has moved to the passenger side of the engine bay. I'd definetly stay away from series I hinges... sounds like series II or III would work for your car.

finally

Donation Time
My Series 2 (early one) has the rod across the back of the engine compartment. I think its not as simple as S1 vs S2 as we've all seen multiple variations of these cars!

Jim E

Donation Time
Not 100% on this but think S3 hinges are different, as in diff that the rest. My 3 does not have the correct hinges and my SV hinges did not the 3 fit right either. In this case the hinge hits the grill, also the holes to bolt the hood on had to be elongated to get the hood to line up and it required spacers between the hinge and hood.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Not 100% on this but think S3 hinges are different, as in diff that the rest. My 3 does not have the correct hinges and my SV hinges did not the 3 fit right either. In this case the hinge hits the grill, also the holes to bolt the hood on had to be elongated to get the hood to line up and it required spacers between the hinge and hood.

Jim
I can relate to the spacers.Both cars needed them.I Know the Lister was once banged in the front.The 62 had the left fender hit.This was before I got them.As to hinges I changed the 62 to the later style and had no problems.

sunbeammadd

Donation Time
Me too. For years I thought my shell had an alignment problem from accident damage until I finally discovered I had the wrong hinges.