• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hollywood Sport Car Alpine

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Ok, here is another quest... the Hollywood Sport Car Alpine.
Many on the list may remember this was the Alpine that was the "Sports Car Graphic" magazine project car. It also ran Sebring in 1963.

Built by Doane Spencer it was every bit as specially prepared as the Hollywood Sport Car Tiger you see today.

So, where did it go?

George Cheyne raced it in the mid-60's. In fact Davy Jordan just sent me this image of George racing.

It really would be the Sunbeam find of the year - if it still exist.

Steve

Last edited:

Armand4

Donation Time
Oh, man, I'd love to examine this car and take careful notes on everything (and I really mean everything) Doane Spencer did to make it go. It's always nice to see the handiwork of a master hot-rodder/ race-prep artist. Having seen the Hollywood Tiger at the Monterey Historics a week ago, I can tell you that pretty much every trick in the book was thrown at that car.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Looks like the car has had a decent hit in the pics. Is this pre or post sebring? i remember the rear shots of the sebring car having (monza/daytona style) fuel fillers mounted through the boot lid, did it keep that arrangement and i assume long range tanks? What other race results did it get?

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
You can get the Sports Car Graphic issues from 1962 which tell a good bit about the development of the HSC Alpine.

It has taken a hit to the nose. It also had a bad hit when Jerry Titus was driving (Santa Barbara?) As far as results go, I don't have any once George Cheyne took over. I am sure it was still competitive.

Steve

Jim E

Donation Time
The car is a SII? Do we know what color and anything like what area of the country it is last known to be in?

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Here's some details:

1) It was a California car in the 60's.

2) Even after being sold to Cheyne I am fairly certain it continued to run in the Southern Cal area.

3) Electric Blue (probably originally white or very light color based on some photos but Doane painted it Electric Blue)

4) Trunk would have been modified for a large Indy style fuel filler - probably changed back to normal after the race (just a guess) but the car probably retained the oversized fuel tank.

5) Chrome whire wheels..

6) I am not positive if the car is an Series I or II. I would guess II.

Steve