• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Holley jet question V6

W2 & Lora

Donation Time
Hi Smart People!

I have finally got the engine running with the Holley 390 and am having trouble with bad hesitation. It idles fine, pulling about 15 on the vacuum gage, and I think I have the timing pretty close. I really need to play with the gas pedal to get it to go, and even then, a lot of hesitation. It still has the stock main jets (51?) and I figure I need to change. I have searched the forum and found a couple of references to 54s. (I live at sea level, moderate temps.) Is there a method to reduce the amount of trail and error or should I just wait until the local Holley expert can pop by? I reckon I should have an assortment on hand.

Cheers!

W2

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
W2, I'd look at the accelerator pump. Float level. Vacuum leak? Fuel pressure should be 5-6psi. Original pump is too weak. Used, rebuilt or new? Holley has some adjustment videos online.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The main jets mostly affect the AFR at (or close to) full throttle. Off-idle hesitation could be the result of a lean idle mixture, but I would start by making sure the accelerator pump is functioning correctly.