• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Holley 390 cfm

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
Are there any model/marking numbers I should be looking for in buying a Holley 390 to rebuild? There are lots on eBay, with a lot of price ranges. I've rebuilt carburetors before, so I'm not afraid of buying a good body and putting a kit in it.

My search for a complete 2.8 may be coming to a quick conclusion. Found a guy who rebuilt one for his Ranger, then took it out to replace with a 302.

T

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
I assume a manual choke would be easiest to deal with. In SETexas we don't need a lot of cold-weather starts!

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Unless you have lots of experience with Holleys, I would recommend buying a new one. Holleys are a bit finicky. There are several guys on this board, that have done what you propose, and have wished they had just gone ahead and bought a new one to begin with. If you get a new Holley, make sure you run a good gas filter in front of it, because Holleys don't like dirt.

I recommend getting the carb with the electric choke, because they are very simple to hook up, and they don't stay on accidentally, running the risk of washing down the rings.

Jose:)

Jim E

Donation Time
I have a used 390 in the parts pile and will try and get the number off it. If anyone wants to try rebuilding one I would be happy to let this one go for oh $75 ? but would plan on a complete rebuild.

dmich2

Donation Time
I tried the rebuild route and it was a waste of time. I bought a new one, as Jose advises, and NOOOOOOO problems. The model number is HLY-0-8007. Summit Racing Equipment has them for $335.95, but I bet you can do better. And I also have a rebuilt 390 I'd love to get rid of, if someone wants to tackle a rebuild. :rolleyes:

Dennis

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
The Holley 4160 is 600 cfm. Isn't this overkill? Jeez, there are zillions of carburetors out there!

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The term "model 4160" refers to a Holley 4-barrel carburetor with a single metering block and (IIRC) a single accelerator pump. A 4160 can have mechanical or vacuum secondaries and a mechanical or electrical choke (or no choke for that matter). The CFM rating can be anything from 400 to at least 950. A Holley 390 is a model 4160 / part number 0-8007.

And yes, 600 CFM would be serious overkill on a 2.8 V6; according to Holley, even the 390 is larger than necessary.