• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hole under ashtray Why ?

Derek

Donation Time
I just finished pulling the remainder of the interior on th sV and found a triangular hole under the ashtray that has been cut in the tranny tunnel ! It does not seem to be an original item. Does anyone have any idea whay someone whould do this ?

skywords

Donation Time
That is odd. Maybe if the car has or had OD someone thought they filled the OD thru the top? Just guessing. It is filled by the tranny and shares the same fluid.
Or maybe it was a way to get rid of illegal drugs if the cops pulled them over? The possibilities are endless.

Jeb Stuart

Platinum Level Sponsor
I bet Skywords got it right - I am going w/ the drug theory too. I've owned several Alpines over the years (& 1 SV) and none had an opening under the ashtray that I can recall. Plus I was a kid back then. What other groovy things have you found?

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Was the hole beneath or to the front of the ashtray? I've seen at least one Alpine, about 20-25 years ago, that had a keyed tranny lock, located just forward of the ashtray. I was told the lock was a dealer option back then, but I've always had my doubts.

Apparently the key was lost or the lock unused, as the white Series V was later stolen near a ferry dock near Seattle and never recovered.