• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Holbay with Injection

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I just stumbled on this video on Youtube of a S3 with Holbay engine that's injected, with a 6 speed. Owned by Dave Atherton.

Very cool. Does anyone know more?

alpine_64

Donation Time
SII Factory race team had a 7 speed though most of the ratios were redundant.
My understanding is the rootes rally team did the OD on 1st to 4th.. Giving 8 fwd ratios.. And they had ton put a warning label on cars to remind drivers to disengage the od before going to reverse

RootesRacer

Donation Time
My understanding is the rootes rally team did the OD on 1st to 4th.. Giving 8 fwd ratios.. And they had ton put a warning label on cars to remind drivers to disengage the od before going to reverse

I thought I read 2nd to 4th (tail speed too low in 1st to make sufficient pump pressure).
Bad juju running the OD in reverse.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Here is a quote from Wayne Stetina (Roy Stetina's oldest son) concerning Roy running a 7spd OD transmission while racing #21 Series II Alpine in the 1960s.

"Modified the overdrive unit with increased lubrication holes & rewired to engage in 2nd / 3rd / 4th. Put a switch on the top of the shift lever. That split the difference in on the 4spd gearbox with a 7spd close ratio trans that was an advantage on every race course, but especially for a lower gear at the start compared to any close ratio 4spd box.trans. 1st overdrive proved no significant advantage over going straight to 2nd, plus my father was concerned that the overdrive unit wouldn’t handle the torque in 1st. 2nd overdrive was rarely used on the race course as well, mainly for starts. But 2nd gear was too low to be useful for almost any race course."