• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

HLM tailgate body seal + screen seal. Washer bottle

g.boat

Donation Time
Gents,

Any idea where can I get the correct rear screen seal(s) (tailgate to body and screen seal) for my HLM.

Secondly what type of washer bottle and holder should I have and where should it be mounted ? My holder is square and on the bulkhead just above the exhaust manifold. Have just melted oval washer bottle through stupidity.

Just passed it's annual MOT..........5,500 miles in it last year with no hitch!!

Andy

alpine_64

Donation Time
A HLM should have the standard SII washer bottle setup IIRC. The "ROOTES" logo'ed one mounted to the firewall. Rick and Sunbeam Specialties sells a repro of the washer bottle (perfect) you just need the brass fitting off an original.. or any period tudor bottle.

65beam

Donation Time
HLM seals

i've used the trunk seal that sunbeam specialties sells for an alpine for the hatch seal. it's real close to the originals that were on both of my cars . it has to be mounted the opposite to the way for an alpine . we used a universal seal with the chrome bead for mounting the hatch window .sunbeam specialties sells the washer bottles but i don't think he has the brackets .

napa 1

Donation Time
I have my original and a NOS rear hatch seal if you need to see the profile. It is different than the newer trunk seals, although as 65beam says, the newer profile will work. By the way, I just received a shipment from MacGregor in Canada of the correct door and window seal for the HLM. It is the exact profile of the original. I've been searching all the various companies and products available and finally found that MacGregor makes a special order version called Bristolflex in the original profile. He also has the fuzzy edge seal to match.

napa 1

Donation Time
Yes the HLM has the Rootes washer bottle with the metal bracket as on the series II. Painted black where it attaches to the car and blue where it goes around the bottle.

Hey Michael, sorry to hear about the terrible wildfires. Hope you're out of harms way. We have our share of those here in California as well.

65beam

Donation Time
lemans seals

john,

the product that martin has fits real good and stays on. i had him make it up for me three years ago when i replaced everything on my red harrington .you'll like it . he also made up a seal with a larger flap for my 69 GT last year. he does great work .

napa 1

Donation Time
john,

the product that martin has fits real good and stays on. i had him make it up for me three years ago when i replaced everything on my red harrington .you'll like it . he also made up a seal with a larger flap for my 69 GT last year. he does great work .

Yes it was nice to find this guy and know that he can make different profiles in his own product which as you say, is a quality product. Years ago I order his series I/II windscreen seal..he was the only one who had the early series seal.

65beam

Donation Time
HLM seals

john,
the hatch seal he made for me is a little different than the alpine trunk seal . it is a little smaller on the flap part .the regular alpine seal tends to bind at the top around the hinge area and wants to bunch up .have you had time to talk to him about his history in this industry.very interesting !

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hey Michael, sorry to hear about the terrible wildfires. Hope you're out of harms way. We have our share of those here in California as well.

Thanks John,

Quite a few Victorians are doing it tough at the oment. I am lucky enough not to be in harms way, but its disturbing to see the extent of the damage. Luckily they look to be getting them under control as of today 12/02/2009.. so hopefully will be a point to start reconsruction soon.

g.boat

Donation Time
Gents,

Thanks for the replies. I'm about to place and order with Martin for the door trim I spoke with him last week, he hasn't emntirley lost his accent despite the length he's been away from Blighty. All reports about him and his products are favourable.

Does anyone have and image of the windscreen post - door runner seal, the one that runs up the C channel to the screen /roof trim joint. Maybe Martin can reproduce them ? I know the current replacment answer is the soft top seal but its not working for me, perhaps the door runnner is out of alignment on my car but the car leaks from the trim joint described and into the car.

Andy