• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

HLM Steering Wheel?

NN LeMans

Donation Time
I am seeking information about the steering wheel on my 1962 Harrington LeMans (HLM). I was very interested in the previous discussion by Bernd, Ian and others as to the types of steering wheels that were on HLMs. Given the various manuafacturers it appears that all the steering wheels identified are wood rimmed, flat-not dished, have three equi-distant metal spokes with slots and bolt onto a hub. The steering wheel on my car has a wood rim with no rivets, two spokes with holes and a horn button in the center with the letter "F" on the horn button (see attached photo). The stamping on the back of the spoke reads: "Fecceco-Torino". A Google search reveals only one hit: a French e-bay sale of this type wheel in 2007 but without much information and no photo.

Does anyone have any information on this wheel and/or its manufacturer. Is it possible that it was a factory installed item? Or was it an "add-on exchange" item later in the car's history?

Attachments

• Harrington Steering Wheel.jpg
    Harrington Steering Wheel.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 68

65beam

Donation Time
steering wheel

it's very similar to the original wheel on my fiat 850, but this appears to be flat instead of slightly dished like the fiat. so there may be some italian connection .

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
The "F" could also be a reference to Facel Vega (french made Sports and luxury cars)...

Hmm... doubt it. Wrong style of 'F'... they never used a script 'F' to my knowledge. I'll have a think and try to figure out what that motif came from... it rings a bell.

Android

Donation Time
The only wheels fitted to HLM were Carlotti or Les Leston. The Carlotti sticker was normally applied over the top of the LL logo. Everything else will be aftermarket.

65beam

Donation Time
lemans steering wheel

my two original carlotti wheels are different from my les leston wheel. the carlotti wheels have the aluminum with two pieces of wood bonded front and back. my les leston wheel has wood surrounding the entire wheel area with only the metal spokes showing .

65beam

Donation Time
lemans wheel

and how do you know it's not ? it's not on a car so it doesn't matter . i'll find a car to put it on someday . it's the wheel that was on e bay awhile back . it probably will end up on our new series 4 once it's done .

napa 1

Donation Time
and how do you know it's not ? it's not on a car so it doesn't matter . i'll find a car to put it on someday . it's the wheel that was on e bay awhile back . it probably will end up on our new series 4 once it's done .

oops, you jumped on the wrong guy. I was answering the original question regarding the steering wheel in question, not referring to your post. In fact, my Le Mans actually came with the Les Leston wheel like the one you bought on ebay...