• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hillman parts source?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Not entirely on "stock" topic, but does anyone know where to get new 1600/1725 iron head hillman pistons?

.020 over if anyone has them on hand.

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Relies from the Hillman list

I've never had the head of my Hillman, so I have no idea if these guys are right or wrong. Regardless, no sources. Here goes.

"I have a set of std 1494 pistons,rings,pins flat tops but the later ones were all dished unless Sunbeam used flat tops."

"My original Hepolite book does not show flattops for these--"

"i used a set of mk11 zephyr pistons, flat top, plus .020" gave a 1725cc
engine 1820cc, compression height was lower by .040""

"The Holbay 1725 engine used flat-top pistons, std 1725 are dished."

"AE offered flat top pistons for 1592 and 1725 in their catalogs in the
1970s and early 80s, but BAP-GEON never could get them for me. As far as I
know, REPCO never had them available."

Rootes 66

Donation Time
Rootesracer, when ordering or trying to locate a set of flat top pistons you need to specify 1500 HC pistons, that was the only engine off the line to use them,with the exception of the Holbay. All 1600 and 1725's had dished pistons.
Pete

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Rootesracer, when ordering or trying to locate a set of flat top pistons you need to specify 1500 HC pistons, that was the only engine off the line to use them,with the exception of the Holbay. All 1600 and 1725's had dished pistons.
Pete

1) does it have the same compression height at the 1725?

2) by 1500 I assume you are talking about the 5 main 1498 (not to be confused with 1494)?

3) What is the application (and CR of that engine)?

4) Where does one purchase those pistons?

I dont think any hunter 1500 engines were used on any US imported cars.

Thx for this info.

Rootes 66

Donation Time
Jarrid
The 1500 (actual 1496) was an early 5 mains cast Iron headed Hunter engine. It had a shorter throw crank with longer rods than the 1725. The claimed combustion chamber volume was 50.18 cc and a 8.4:1 compression ratio. Service pistons were +.020 and Speedy spares have them listed on their website under Hunter Part No 75121874 The pistons will have a Triangle or HC stamped onto the top face for ID.
Pete

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Jarrid
The 1500 (actual 1496) was an early 5 mains cast Iron headed Hunter engine. It had a shorter throw crank with longer rods than the 1725. The claimed combustion chamber volume was 50.18 cc and a 8.4:1 compression ratio. Service pistons were +.020 and Speedy spares have them listed on their website under Hunter Part No 75121874 The pistons will have a Triangle or HC stamped onto the top face for ID.
Pete

Thx for this info.

Does the HC 1500 hunter use the same compression height as the 9.2/1 1725 piston? Also is it a full flat top?

Rootes 66

Donation Time
Jarrid
The Piston is a true Flat top and dimensionally identical to the 1725 piston. I don't have data for the Compression height, but wouldn't that be governed by the particular cam being used. (I'm not really sure I understand what is meant by the term).
They are quite a heavy piston and the remanufactured route may be the best way for a fast engine. Holbay reduced the overall length by some 0.5 inch for their engine and although I don't know the actual weight they feel considerably lighter in comparison.
Pete

Jim E

Donation Time
Jarrid,
I used a set of the 1500 hunter iron head pistons in my 1725, compression hieght is the same they just have flat tops and they also have the second oil ring. Guess you could chuck them up and turn the bottom off if you can find a set. Found them on ebay UK but it took some digging to turn them up, all in with shipping might have been $100.