• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hillclimb

bruce caldwell

Donation Time
Getting ready to pull my Alpine back out of the garage and start running hillclimbs and time trials again. Which combination would give me the most improvement in performance - a Delta cam with Strombergs or a Weber with the stock cam? Technically, I think the car is supposed to run with Strombergs in order to be legal, not that anyone would care! Any advice greatly appreciated.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
The consensus seems to be that you'll get a few more hp from the Strombergs over the single Weber, (that's also my impression from driving with both) but I came across an MG site where the resident carb guru said Stromberg hp flattens out at only 5500 rpm due to poor atomization. Back in the day, several Series V racers went back to using Zeniths.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The consensus seems to be that you'll get a few more hp from the Strombergs over the single Weber, (that's also my impression from driving with both) but I came across an MG site where the resident carb guru said Stromberg hp flattens out at only 5500 rpm due to poor atomization. Back in the day, several Series V racers went back to using Zeniths.

But that is not the question. He is asking about a Delta cam (KB?) with the Stroms and stock cam with the Weber. I think that would push things pretty solidly to the Strombergs.

Really, I think it would depend on the condition of the Strombergs. If in good, tunable condition, okay. If they are the wornout, untunable, terrible running things commonly seen, then it would be Weber all the way.

Bill

RootesRooter

Donation Time
You're right. Missed that. I currently own and drive an example of each (KB with Stroms, Weber 32/36 with stock cam), Even discounting for some Vizardization to go with the KB, it's Strombergs by a mile.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
As for strombergs (or SUs).
Any time you change the camshaft you will find that the original jet needle tapers will no longer be correct as it was developed for an exact OEM engine configuration.
The original needles may yeild acceptable running results, but probably not as good as what can be achieved with a properly re-jetted weber.

I would run zenith WIA/WIPs. They will out flow both a weber 32/36 as well as a pair of stromberg 150cd.

Hint, 36wia/wip have 27 or 28mm venturis, the 32/36 has 24 and 26mm venturis.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
You're right. Missed that. I currently own and drive an example of each (KB with Stroms, Weber 32/36 with stock cam), Even discounting for some Vizardization to go with the KB, it's Strombergs by a mile.

I had better performance with Stromberg CD 150's than Weber 32/36 running a stock series V engine. Hed two cars with 1725 engines, one running Strombergs, one with Weber 32/36. Both engines very simliar but Cd150's had an edge - not much, but an edge. my 20 cents worth.

alpine_64

Donation Time
You can fit a sync kit on the downdraft so that it cracks both throttles at the same time which might give a bit more go than progressive setup when climbing then take it off for street use.

I also don't really understand why you are prepared to change can with 1 carb setup and not the other? Seems eben if you had Weber you should change cam.

Thor 1211

Silver Level Sponsor
Is any of this talk about better flow relevant when the intake and exhaust tracts in the head, especially around the valves, are so restrictive?