• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

High Zinc Engine Break-In Oil, Lucas

Hodee

Donation Time
Looks like a good oil to use in the Alpines all the time. High Zinc levels. I use Valvoline VR-1 ( high Zinc as well). I will do a check to find out the exact content. This Lucas claims 3600ppm

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Shell says that the maximum usable amount is about 900 ppm. Concentrations above that afford no further benefit. A case of more is not better.
Bill

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Delo 400 used in our Wildfire Tender Semi trucks has 1500ppm zinc. Apparently more than enough to be a break-in lubrication.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Shell says that the maximum usable amount is about 900 ppm. Concentrations above that afford no further benefit. A case of more is not better.
Bill

Can you provide back up for that? Note that the amount of zinc suggested has also changed with the types of engines and newer types of oil addressing catalytic converter issues. So that 900 could be connected to different oil/engine designs. I just did a search online and pretty much every report I just pulled up says 1200-1300 ppm is what is still suggested for older cars. But who knows what science backs that up. I also see posts by people criticizing biased studies by the oil companies. Here is a report that claims to be non-biased: https://540ratblog.wordpress.com

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
This is from memory of a report I read a few years ago on Bob Is The Oil Guy. As a result, I do not remember the exact number, but it was less than 1000. The number is the result of research conducted to determine the lowest level of zinc, which in combination of other additives, is required to provide protection to Heavy Duty Engines. As I type this, it comes to me that Shell was trying to settle the concern created when they reduced the level of zinc in their Rotella oil to less that 1000. In short, whatever is in Rotella is what Shell found to be adequate to protect that class of engines.

Bill