• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

high volume oil pump

W

wadwerks

Can anybody give me directions how to make or where to buy a high volume oil pump?

Thanks,
Jon

RootesRacer

Donation Time
It involves the purchase of a 5 main MGB pump rebuild kit, or removal of equivalent pieces from a new MGB pump.

The gerotor components are compatible, but the MGB unit is longer than the 1725 by 1/4 inch.

You next need a precision spacer to mount between the pump body and the pump end.

Lastly you will need to lengthen the pump output tube by 1/4 inch and shorten the pickup tube by the same.

I just trivialized the hell out of the process, there is drilling, measuring and other items I didnt bother to detail, also to perform the needed mod, you will need a mill and a lathe, some form of welder.

Now all this said, what motor do you want to put a higher capacity pump in, and why exactly do you think you need the extra capacity?

W

wadwerks

Its a 1725 with custom I beam rods, custom JE piston 13:1, chrome molly push rods, accusump oil system, duel valve springs and Isky S-5 cam. Almost a pound and a half was removed from each cylinder so we are gonna try and run it at 7k rpm. The old motor ran fine at 6k and had much less done to it but we are worried about lack of oil. We have a welder, lathe, and mill.

Thanks for all the help,
Jon

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Stock engine had plenty of oil capacity particularly at high RPM.

You have compelling reasons for more oil, but you havent told me what I wanted to know about where the extra oil is supposed to go.

Extra capacity without regard for extra oil need will just pump the oil round in circles dumping out the relief valve and foaming the oil.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Jon,

The key is the spacer Jarrid mentioned. I suspect the rest is pretty straight forward lengthing and shortening pipes.

Have you been racing much lately? How about some photos :)

Last weekend I was able to run the Visalia Dodge Boy's Alpine for the first time (almost 40 years to the day when it last raced) I will post a link to some photos once they are loaded. Handling was a bit squirrly but by the finial all-comers race it was OK.

I was really happy with the 1592 motor I put together. At this point I almost prefer it over my 1725 in the Sports Car Forum Alpine. (revs quicker etc.)

Steve