• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

High Speed Rail in the USA?

Jim E

Donation Time
Sure like a train ride, used to ride it to FL from Ohio and SC when I moved here. Take a bag of sandwiches and a couple books, have a nap or two very relaxed way to travel compare to the same trip in a car. Never liked to fly just flat out gives me the hibby gibbies. The cost of the train ticket was not so good though and you had little choice on when you could catch the train and the station in Cleveland was something out of a slasher movie, an unmaned siding in a bad area.

When I was a little kid in Sandusky OH there were still street cars, the ones that ran on electric from over head wires. Can just recall mom taking me down town to shop and riding the street car.

Guess when we picked to build a freeway system it was the end of rail. Then too car makers killed street cars from what I have read they bought them all up and closed them down. So you had to have a car to get around town or else ride a bus, which was most likely built by the same company that closed down the street cars.

Wonder what our country would look like today if instead of freeways we had picked a rail system. Say all the freeways were rail lines. The steel indusrty might still be alive churning out rails, we might not have mountains of old tires no one knows what to do with. Auto makers would sure be a different animal, cars would tend to be smaller at a guess and fewer would be made. Might not be a gas station on every corner so less of all the mess conected with the oil industry. Then perhaps we would have gone to electric trains and would have clean burn coal tech in place and more nuke power plants. So we might have not been so concerned about oil. Now that would be different... the middle east would not be so important to us and would not have all the money they do now.

I figure the WWII is the reason we are a car nation there was a cusp when it could have gone either direction but with the auto makers all building for the war effort they had to many plants that needed converted to none war effort production for rail to ever have a chance. Would be real interesting to know who took money from who when those decisions were made.

Think we are just stuck with what we have, could you imagine trying to build the freeway system in todays world. We would need a court system just for the cases... not thru my house, farm or that wet land you don't or he knew it was coming this way and bought up the land on the cheap... no way a rail system is going to get thru, not even bringing in to it all the folks who would figure they would lose money and lobby against it. the only way it could ever happen is if there is a disaster. Say a genetic modified bug that eats oil all gone or climate change is real and we reach a tipping point then maybe we shut down half the freeway system and build rail on it.

skywords

Donation Time
I think we need to figure how not to crash our slow trains into each other before we build any fast ones.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
I think we need to figure how not to crash our slow trains into each other before we build any fast ones.

Gee Rick,

I think our government has had that problem well under control for over forty years.

About the FRA...

The Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) was created by the Department of Transportation Act of 1966 (49 U.S.C. 103, Section 3(e)(1)). The purpose of FRA is to: promulgate and enforce rail safety regulations; administer railroad assistance programs; conduct research and development in support of improved railroad safety and national rail transportation policy; provide for the rehabilitation of Northeast Corridor rail passenger service; and consolidate government support of rail transportation activities. Today, the FRA is one of ten agencies within the U.S. Department of Transportation concerned with intermodal transportation. It operates through seven divisions under the offices of the Administrator and Deputy Administrator.

skywords

Donation Time
Don the FRA has statistics on train wrecks, you should read them and get back to us. Thousands upon thousands of wrecks.

I just pulled a report on a train wreck I was wittiness to in 1981 in Byron Ca. The very site of the great Byron train wreck of 1902 that killed 28 involving two passenger trains where one rear ended another just like what occurred in DC yesterday.

The crash I saw was a derailment of 24 freight cars just yards from several buildings on main street. The tracks run parallel to the buildings and the cars were carrying rolls of sheet steel that unrolled liked toilet paper crushing some automobiles. The bar on main street was occupied with patrons that were astonished at their survival.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Problem with long distance rail travel, high speed or other, in this country is finding a way to make it pay. Even before WW2, and before WW1, passenger travel was partly paid for by freight traffic. It was never self supporting on it's own from what I've read. That's why the rail roads wanted out of it in the 60s, as freight declined passenger service was eating up more and more of the money. To me the only way passenger rail can work, outside of some high traffic transit routes, is to promote it not as a trip to a vacation destination but as the vacation itself, like cruiseships. And at that only in a limited number of runs since you might take a 5-6 day trip across the country and back occasionally as your vacation, but who would want to spend up to a week just coming and going to the vacation?? For better or worse, in this country long distance passenger rail is a curiousity, nevermore a transportation network.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don the FRA has statistics on train wrecks, you should read them and get back to us. Thousands upon thousands of wrecks.

I just pulled a report on a train wreck I was wittiness to in 1981 in Byron Ca. The very site of the great Byron train wreck of 1902 that killed 28 involving two passenger trains where one rear ended another just like what occurred in DC yesterday.

The crash I saw was a derailment of 24 freight cars just yards from several buildings on main street. The tracks run parallel to the buildings and the cars were carrying rolls of sheet steel that unrolled liked toilet paper crushing some automobiles. The bar on main street was occupied with patrons that were astonished at their survival.

Okay Rick,

I am sure that the FRA does maintain outstanding records. I was just trying to make a tongue-in-cheek comment on how successfully the government fixes problems by new agencies and regulations. Even in an industry that has had oversight for forty years. Wonder what the manufacturing industries and capabilities of our country will be forty years from now? Observing the past performance doesn't allow for much hope for the future, once the government steps in, does it?

skywords

Donation Time
I misunderstood you Don and of course your smarter than that sorry. I wonder how I got so overweight with my foot stuck in my mouth. We have had some miserable failures in regard to rail but we have had some pretty impressive successes as well. The BART system in the bay area has been a reasonably safe system. I would rather see the money at this time spent on fixing our electrical grid and highways. Truth be known there is no money but if they must borrow lets spend it wisely.

One of the best experiences as a kid was traveling from Oakland to Reno at night on the train through the sierras in the winter. The car was so warm and comfortable and the scenery outside was down right frightening cold with deep snow and snow fall. I have never been on a train since but would love to do it again except in Canada next time.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Seems to be pointing to a computer malfunction that was the root cause of the Metro crash. According to the AP they put a test train on the same piece of track yesterday and the sensors that are supposed to note the presence of the train showed the line to be clear.

If so, here we go again. Last month the Airbus A330, now the commuter train. Whether it's "fly by wire" or "roll by wire," when the wire in question fouls up someone gets killed.