• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Here she is...

65beam

Donation Time
is

one of the best times we ever had with a Harrington was at the british show at Pittsburgh a number of years back. we pulled up behind the club house to unload the red car and I looked at the trailer in front of us and found another Harrington conversion. it was a triumph DOVE'. it also was red. it was parked close to us so we talked most of the day. they do tend to draw a crowd wherever you take them. they draw more attention now than they did 30 years ago.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Beautiful ! John who did the interior and did it come with seat foams? Also interesting arm rests on the doors, your idea? Hopefully mine will come out as nice as that. Great job.
Jeff

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Original HLM arm rest came as you see it in John's photo. The seat foams are unique to the HLM and new ones were probably sculpted by the upholster.

65beam

Donation Time
here

not all lemans had the full arm rest/ knee pads. 9112251 has only the small arm rest and no knee pads. the original interior is boxed up in the attic. 9112185 had only the arm rest and no knee pads. 9117763 has the small arm rest and the knee pad. no full arm rest. we're the second owners of the first two cars and 7763 was owned by ian so I don't have much history on it other than what I have in boxes. we are going to use the arm rest but not the knee pads. our upholstery shop has made seat foams using a high density foam that he uses for street rods. there are a couple cars out there with seat frames that TT had made using a frame from 9112251 and I have a couple of the reproduction frames stored away.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Wow. A black Lemans looks really nice.
Congratulations on the Lemans,
Jan
(I hope to see it in person)

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Right you are 65Beam, I stand corrected. Not all HLMs had the full armrest that included the knee pad. Seems odd that both 2185 or 2251 (early production HLM units) had armrest without knee pads and yet the later 7763 had armrest with knee pads. Could be the door panels are not original to the 7763 car.

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
harrington alpine

Outstanding.....fine job, well done! If she were mine, nothing could wipe the grin off my face. One more word.....WOW!

napa 1

Donation Time
I chose to put the full knee bolster arm rest in mine even though it probably originally just had only the small arm rest. But I really like the full bolster effect and since I was able to obtain a pattern, I was able to make the wooden form and have my upholsterer cover it, and then attach it to the door panel. I have the full scale pattern drawing to loan out for anyone who would like to make them.

I re-webbed and "muslimed" the seats and took that along with borrowed seat covers (which could not be taken apart) and lots of pictures to my upholsterer, who took it from there - building the foam pieces, cutting the leather into the various pieces, etc. They came out beautifully considering they were made from scratch just looking at old torn covers and a few pictures.

Attachments

• dads ipod 054.jpg
    dads ipod 054.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Dad's Ipod 911.jpg
    Dad's Ipod 911.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Dad's Ipod 1062.jpg
    Dad's Ipod 1062.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
here

john,
I like the pockets on the door panels. I have those seat covers at the upholstery shop now and he refuses to take the material apart because he says they will shred. the covers on the other seat crumbled when he was working with it. what did you use for the heated seats?

napa 1

Donation Time
Map pockets are as close to original as possible (mom helped me make them on the sewing machine). For the seat heaters, I just used the kits that you can buy from various sources, Victoria British for instance, and rewired the harnesses to work with a Lucas style switch and warning lamp.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Super to see it on the road after all the struggles. An absolute beauty and a benchmark for all us desperate HLM restores out there. Just the wrong Radio brand though :D kidding.

Could you fix the Zeniths in the meantime?

NN LeMans

Donation Time
John,

Your HLM is absolutely stunning and represents probably more hours than you can count in the restoration. You have set the bar high for the rest of us and I have a long way to go with mine. My HLM is 9112186 and it has the small elbow rests on the doors. Although it has had several owners , they appear to be original. Great car! Great job!

alpineclive

Diamond Level Sponsor
John

What a beautiful car! I have just logged after a few weeks absence to be presented with this vision of a Harrington! Great Job! I cant wait to see it when I am next in your neck of the woods

Happy New Year
Clive

65beam

Donation Time
here

NN LeMans,
my red car is #2185 and # 2187 is also red. my car had the arm rest only. my car was sent to texas and was bought in san antonio as a Christmas present for the original owner and then he brought the car to Annapolis, md and yours ended up in the same general area. do you know where your car spent most of it's life? I was offered # 2187 when it was in Wisconsin back in the 80's. all three cars must have been built almost identical.

tigertom

Donation Time
John, You created something I only ever dreamed about. And you did it with a real touch of class. The agonizing color choice appears to have been one well chosen. Black, complimented with the chrome and the visual flowing rounded body lines just makes the car "pop". I'm tempted to fly to the west side and beg a chance to hug and drive something I only ever sat in. TT

napa 1

Donation Time
Hi Tiger Tom. I'm sorry, I meant to send you an email to let you know it was finished and share the pics with you. Thanks for your help along the way and for setting me up with such a gem. It's a really special car and i had a wonderful time restoring it. Of course, you are welcome to visit any time and see the finished product.

NN LeMans

Donation Time
HLM Rear Hatch Glass Seal

John,

I am having trouble sending a PM to you about the rear hatch glass seal. Yes, I would like to have it. Please send it to the address in our original e-mail exchange. Thanks for saving it for me. Again, what a beautiful car you have!

NN LeMans

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
John:

I'm a little late to the party, but I just wanted to add my congratulations on a job well done!!!! What a stunner she is!!!!!

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
John, I keep going back to look at your car every few days. All the Harrington's look great but your color choices and the detail makes yours truly outstanding.
The interior especially is a cut above.