• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Help!

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Nick It sounds to me that your starter took a crap and seized in the engaged position then when you tried to push start it was still locked up with the fly wheel. then it finaly broke free alowing the engine to turn over without the starter. I would check the starter first. Earl bluoval

Nick
Did this happen right after changing gears?Once I had a tranny that locked up just as I changed gears.For some strange reason the forks didn't mesh.Could roll with the clutch depressed.Ended up pulling the works.However for what its worth this was not on a sunbeam

howard

Donation Time
I'd pull the starter and look-see if there's any metal filings stuck to it that'd indicate stress on the ring gear. (And while it's out, have it checked just for kicks.) You need to get Matilda waltzing again!

Jim E

Donation Time
Now that is odd, would not have thought a jambed starter could be strong enough to slid the tires. My car did that when I broke the cross shaft in the rear end

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
I would have thought that either, the wheels could be locked up due to the starter, but it is certainly better than a blown head gasket.

Steve

Nickodell

Donation Time
Let me add to the mystery. Remember, the engine stopped quite normally when I switched off - NO unusual sounds, and the engine spun a few times before coming to rest. All quite normal.

Then, on trying to start it, there was no sound of the starter Bendix drive engaging. No familiar "clunk." Just the click of the solenoid making contact. How the hell could the Bendix cog have entered and jammed a stationary flywheel, totally silently, and after switching off?

I am assuming that rocking the car in gear, and hearing a "clunk" and then having the car operate normally, including the starter, was the sound of the gear coming out of engagement. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH.:eek:

Armand4

Donation Time
Man, this just keeps getting weirder and weirder. Could the problem be anything other than the engine and starter? If the car can be rolled around when it's out of gear, I'd think that rules out any problems in the rear end. Could something have seized or gotten stuck in the transmission?
Anyway, good luck.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Wow. Sorry I'm so late to the game here! I was just searching the site for an older post I did, and came across this one. In case anyone cares, what happened on my car is that I was driving in 4th gear on the freeway. Then the floating 1st gear froze up on the shaft. So I was effectively in 1st and 4th at the same time. That jammed the transmission completely. Putting in the clutch was irrelevant. Once I got it out of 4th, it was still in 1st, but would roll with the clutch in.

How the heck could that happen? Well, actually, earlier that day or week, I took a very fast start off a line, and the engine/trans shuttered a bit. I think that caused a burr to form in the area where the 1st gear floats on the shaft. It built its way up, and then jammed the 1st gear later that day or week. I hope this helps someone at some point.