• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hello Tiger owners.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Pete,

I have the original left hand drive steering rack from my Tiger that I no longer need as it has been converted to right hand drive. I would have to find out what they are worth if you are interested.

Regards, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Rob,

Thats a nice offer.. but Pete would have to modify the alpine cross member to tiger spec, and then essentially he would be installing the worst system you can have, he would end up with all the stock tiger steering issues. There should be a decent supply of racks in the USA from people who have converted to Midget racks.. but again.. better to go straight to a midget setup and get better steering.

64beam

Donation Time
Rob,

Thats a nice offer.. but Pete would have to modify the alpine cross member to tiger spec, and then essentially he would be installing the worst system you can have, he would end up with all the stock tiger steering issues. There should be a decent supply of racks in the USA from people who have converted to Midget racks.. but again.. better to go straight to a midget setup and get better steering.

It's worth a try though :) . It is absolutely no use to me as I will never revert back to left hand drive. It is in very good condition and I'm sure it will be better off in someone's garage that will be able to use it at some stage in the future (I definately cannot).

Regards, Robin.

BLISTIC

Donation Time
What car is this midget? Is it a MG ?

Guys why not just go to a mustang II rack?
Can I get some dimensions on the rack from the original TIGER. width of rack carriage and the length of the tie rod arms?

Robin
Thanks for the offer. I think I will search out a midget rack.

Chuck
I like your direction on the steering. Any idea what specific years of MG to get?

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
What car is this midget? Is it a MG ?

Guys why not just go to a mustang II rack?
Can I get some dimensions on the rack from the original TIGER. width of rack carriage and the length of the tie rod arms?

Robin
Thanks for the offer. I think I will search out a midget rack.

Chuck
I like your direction on the steering. Any idea what specific years of MG to get?

Mutt II rack will be too wide most likely. The Midget rack is faster steering ratio than Mutt II as well, IIRC.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
IIRC Chuck fitted a MUTT II rack and the spindles and A arms to his alpine

Michael,

I think you are correct. I also think I remember pics of his car that showed wheel arch flairs to accommodate both a wider track and wheels/tires. I do know that the Mutt II has about a 55 inch track compared to the Alpine's 51 inch measurement.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Michael,

I think you are correct. I also think I remember pics of his car that showed wheel arch flairs to accommodate both a wider track and wheels/tires. I do know that the Mutt II has about a 55 inch track compared to the Alpine's 51 inch measurement.

Yes I have the fender flares on both cars.Way back at the beginning I went all ford suspension on the 62.My original idea was to use front wheel drive wheels to bring the track back.I figured though the extra track width would be a benifit so thats the way I went
There is an overpass close to home with a tight curve that is posted 30 MPH
I used to go about 60 on this easily.
When I retired the V6 I went 302 and this resulted in removing the Mustang II front end and the sunbeam front was fitted with the Mustang spindles and rack
As to the width of the Mustang rack the tie rods can be shortend.Very easy to do.Right now I have a new modified front end like the Lister has on the stand.It will be this winter's job.There are a couple of ideas I want to look at to improve it a bit more.This relates to the ackerman angles.It is close but still some problems as you are just about at lock on the steering.Of course 14 x 7 wheels don't contribute any help in this.
Isn't this just a whole bunch of fun

BLISTIC

Donation Time
Blistic
I think the arms are from the B
I did have a pair but sold them.
Did you look at what I sent you

Yes Chuck I did.
looking at my option. I was looking at one of my street rod mags the other day.
They make different width mutt II racks. Say for instance for a 32 chassis.
Speed way makes different arm etc.
I am going to get this engine pulled and then the front cross member. Then I will get s clearer picture on track width etc.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
IIRC Chuck fitted a MUTT II rack and the spindles and A arms to his alpine

I should have added that I only added the Mustang spindles and the rack to the stock crossmember when I went back to it.I had a Mustang II front end.I used spacers to give the additional track.For those who remember I also fitted them in reverse so one could keep the alpine steering.I showed a straight edge through center.I was pretty positive it would work but seeing I was not being stock I did what I needed.
The flares came because of the wider track of the Mustang.
Now I'm no expert but all I do is saftey first.The goverment inspector even admired my work,.
I gladly will share what ever I can.Please remember my experience in modifications is strtictly related to my stuff only
Oh so much fun

BLISTIC

Donation Time
Chuck
Do you have baseline measurements of the Alpine/TiGER front cross member?
Example Track width: ?
Rack width housing mounts:?
Tie rod to tie rod width:?
I can see rack mounting can be moved around fromt eh stock measurements. The most important issue is the track width.
I know with my 65 mustang I narrowe the track width. This actually helped. But with the narrow pack the alpine has this might be large issue to contain.

Chris has some pretty good stuff. No bumpsteer in 6 inches of suspension travel. I think that will suffice. Unless one is rally racing...then a tiny bump is no real big deal. 2 inch drop spindles; a better center of gravity, with the coil overs...the wheel/rim combo could be really wide.
Combined with a three link rear axle set up...sesh!
http://cachassisworks.com/DataSheets/7160_DS_WEB.pdf

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I am now happy that no one took me up on the left hand rack offer. I spoke with the person who restored my Tiger and I found out that the rack in question has been converted to right hand drive. It was used for a short period of time before a true right hand rack became available. It can be converted back, but would cost a few dollars to do it.

Regards, Robin.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Chuck
Do you have baseline measurements of the Alpine/TiGER front cross member?
Example Track width: ?
Rack width housing mounts:?
Tie rod to tie rod width:?
I can see rack mounting can be moved around fromt eh stock measurements. The most important issue is the track width.
I know with my 65 mustang I narrowe the track width. This actually helped. But with the narrow pack the alpine has this might be large issue to contain.

Chris has some pretty good stuff. No bumpsteer in 6 inches of suspension travel. I think that will suffice. Unless one is rally racing...then a tiny bump is no real big deal. 2 inch drop spindles; a better center of gravity, with the coil overs...the wheel/rim combo could be really wide.
Combined with a three link rear axle set up...sesh!

Pete
I have sent you an email

BLISTIC

Donation Time
Well for now I am going to modify the Alpine cross member. A set of MGB steering arms and a midget rack. Then Dales attachments for the rack.
Seems to be relative to what i want right now. I can tweak that design later.
Then front disc and a 8 inch rear end with disc. Set up the 4 link rear and see how that handles.
V-8 (free) 302 5.0 long block was picked up yesterday. :D
Plans for that are 302 .030 arp bolts/polished crank/ jeg/Kaase heads/ x-303 cam and a T-5. Induction at first a 700dp and torker I have on the shelf.
Target date completion is the end of the summer. Willow springs has a event and I feel the itch!