• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hello all New here WTB ALPINE

737lindgren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hello,
I am looking for a nice ( not project) sunbeam Alpine
My grandfather purchased one new in 1967. Have been trying to find that exact car for years to no avail
my preference would be a carnival red 1967 like my grandfathers but open to all ideas.
Chris

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Seattle is a bit of a drive from the Bay Area, but there are two nice red SV's in this area in the $12k-$13K range.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
You have come to the right place to start your search, and Carnival Red is by far the most common color, so you should be able to find what you are looking for if you are patient. One bit of advice is not to get hung up on finding a 1967. Series is much more important than date, as cars used to be titled based on the date first registered, not the build date. In your grandfather's case, his 1967 would most likely have been a Series V, unless it had been sitting on the dealer's lot for several years. The majority of SV cars were built in 1966 and many were titled as '67's. And, with the exception of the very end of the production run, when whatever was in stock seemed to have been used by the factory, there were virtually no differences between cars built 1965-66 and 1967.

737lindgren

Bronze Level Sponsor
You have come to the right place to start your search, and Carnival Red is by far the most common color, so you should be able to find what you are looking for if you are patient. One bit of advice is not to get hung up on finding a 1967. Series is much more important than date, as cars used to be titled based on the date first registered, not the build date. In your grandfather's case, his 1967 would most likely have been a Series V, unless it had been sitting on the dealer's lot for several years. The majority of SV cars were built in 1966 and many were titled as '67's. And, with the exception of the very end of the production run, when whatever was in stock seemed to have been used by the factory, there were virtually no differences between cars built 1965-66 and 1967.

Thanks Jim
Trying to find the right balance of condition of car and my preferences . several cars I've looked have been a combination of 2 cars one with a good body and one with good parts then transferred vin to good car. There was just one of those on BAT last week. I keep cars along time , so makes me uneasy to get a story car like that. Still trying to find my grandfathers but so far no luck.
Chris

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Totally agree on the Bring a Trailer car . That's a cloud on the title but not an incurable one. Not only is carnival red the most popular next to forest green it's also the most repainted to resale red other Alpine color.
Search Tempest is great for finding Craigslist ads although since CL has started charging $5 there's a lot less cars listed there at least in So. Cal.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Jim
Trying to find the right balance of condition of car and my preferences . several cars I've looked have been a combination of 2 cars one with a good body and one with good parts then transferred vin to good car. There was just one of those on BAT last week. I keep cars along time , so makes me uneasy to get a story car like that. Still trying to find my grandfathers but so far no luck.
Chris
I bought my 67 Alpine from a friend, and knew most of the history on it. I followed the old rule of thumb buy the best car you can find and afford including restoration cost.
I have a lot of history with sunbeams so I know the cars mine had no rust and a solid body it was running poorly but nothing I found was unexpected in a 50 plus year old car. If you are mechanically inclined mine is a great car. It is time consuming and can get pricey for some things but it is a hobby.