• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Heater options

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
Has anyone tried other heater options other than stock?

I was browsing a Vintage Air catalog and saw an integrated heater motor/fan/core assembly that could fit in place of the stock fan motor and housing. I'm only going off the dimension listed vs the dimensions I measured from the stock one. The kit includes ducting for heat/defrost. A heat control valve is an option.

Why?

1. My heater motor is growing rust stalagtites
2. Core is toast.
3. I intend on moving the valve behind the firewall to a hidden location, 'cause they are ugly.
4. Rubber boot is torn at the drain like so many others.
5. Option above looks effective and cheaper than replacing items listed.

Things to be considered. Interference with wiper system.

Anyone using this or another product? Just wondering.

65beam

Donation Time
vintage air units

there is a tiger owner in the dayton ,oh area that mounted a vintage air unit behind the instument panel of his car.it fits pretty good. i am mounting a vintage air unit with heat and a/c in my 69.but keep in mind that it's an entirely different car.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I am using an Old Air Products in dash heater/defroster/air conditioning unit. It is in, but the car is not yet running.

Bill

britbeam

Donation Time
I am using an Old Air Products in dash heater/defroster/air conditioning unit. It is in, but the car is not yet running.

Bill

Hey Bill how close are you to running? Im looking forward to seeing how all your mods workout.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hey Bill how close are you to running? Im looking forward to seeing how all your mods workout.
Dwain V6 Krazy

Very close. I'm running my mouth that it will be driven to the Invasion THIS YEAR! Its about ready for paint and interior assembly. I won't be painting the engine compartment the body color, so all the mechanical and electrical work will not have to be redone.

Bill

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
Am finally home for good and now have the time to work on my long neglected SIV. It's been a long road.

I've gotten the Vintage Air heat/defrost unit installed under the dash using a mount I built. The heater valve now lives in the space where the old core used to be and I've mounted a bulkhead connector for the hoses. There is no accomodation to use the air intake from cowl vents, so may patch them closed forever. I've learned a few lessons along the way like...
1. I'm never happy with the hose routing and have changed it a couple of times.
2. Use care where the bulkhead connector goes, so it doesn't interfere with the hood latch assy. Otherwise, you get to do it again, and patch the previous hole.

I'll try to attach a couple of pictures.

Attachments

• Heater mount from Pass side.jpg
    Heater mount from Pass side.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 113
  • Bulkhead connector & heater valve location.jpg
    Bulkhead connector & heater valve location.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 107
  • Vintage Air heater 2.jpg
    Vintage Air heater 2.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 180 hose from heat valve.jpg
    180 hose from heat valve.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 104

kmathis

Donation Time
Wow! That heater core fits in there like it should have been there all along. And we all know how effective the stock heater is. This is a great idea, let us know if there are any other pitfalls along the way.:) Do you happen to have the model number of that unit?

Thanks,:D

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I put a Vintage Heat and Air unit in my SV that works good.

I understand they also have a H & A/c unit now that is even a bit smaller.

I plan installing one in Sam's car (the Green1) while I'm doing the body work that is currently under way.

Only problem I see is making the bracket for the compressor and getting the pulleys to align.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Has anyone ever looked into just upgrading the heater motor with something modern? This has been on my long term agenda to do for my V6 and Rocco/Mototron and I were discussing this the other day. One option we considered was just trying to find a more powerful modern motor in a junk yard and grafting it on to the stock blower housing. I'd not worried about air conditioning, just extending the top down season.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan, I have been looking at using a Sanden SD7B10 compressor it is small and looks like it will take up less space. :cool: Take a look at it,

George - Dan

I installed a Sanden 505 in Ol' Blue with its V6. Plenty of room and the 505 is very efficient.

Dan - the bracket is not difficult to make - it connects to the bottom ears of the compressor and to a mounting hole on the block.

I used adjustable brackets to pull the compressor belt tight.

Photo below is not too great but the only one I have.

Pete

Attachments

• Ol' Blue AC.jpg
    Ol' Blue AC.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 48

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
Kelly. The heater is Vintage Air's GEN II heater/defrost. #506101. Includes the electric control valve and control panel as well as two defrost vent (Likely can use the sunbeam original ones) and defrost ducting. Only think left to buy after that is the fittings you choose to use, hoses and some clamps. P.