• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Heater/Defroster Controls

chimpodunker

Donation Time
I recently bought a 67 Alpine and found that the heater core was bypassed and all the controls are missing or not connected. I haven't been able to find any good diagrams showing how the whole system is hooked up and the correct part numbers to order replacements. The slide operating levers are there but the warm/hot lever is not connected to anything. I bought a new heater core and new hoses and I want to get the controls operational again. Any help would be appreciated. Pictures of the underdash connections would really be nice.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Have you read Section 18 of WSM 145?

At the top of this page, go to Home / Tech Data / Original Tech Manuals / Sunbeam Alpine Shop Manual WSM 145 SV / Section 18 (Heater).

chimpodunker

Donation Time
I looked at those. There are two floor vents one on each side and I can flip them open or closed by hand but there is no control cable connected to them. I don't see them in the manual.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Gary,
Those floor vents are supposed to be hooked to rods that mount to the dash. They are fresh air vents
that actually come from the two "vents" just outside the windshield. What you seem to be missing is the
heater control valve which mounts under the dash. There is a cable that will connect to that and to the contriol
in the dash. There is also a shorter cable that goes to the air diverter under the dash. That controls where the air
is sent ( car/screen) Both these cables are available from either Classic Sunbeam or Sunbeam Specialties and
are very reasonable. The heater control valve is available from Classic. I have one in my SV and have had no
issues with it.

If I get a chance, I'll take a few shots of my set up and email them to you.

Cheers!
Steve

chimpodunker

Donation Time
Do you know if anyone that sells the operating rods for the vents? I think the diverted is connected and may be working. The heater control valve on my car is in the engine bay and does not move when the lever is moved so I believe the cable is disconnected. When I try to move it by hand it is hard to move so I think either The cable or the valve may need to be replaced.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
As a test, try disconnecting the cable from the heater control valve. Then move the hot / warm / cold lever on the dash and see if the cable is moving at the heater control valve end.

Mike

chimpodunker

Donation Time
I can see under the dash that there is no cable connected on the lever. It either pulled off or was disconnected. I will disconnect it at the valve and see if the cable moves freely. If not I'll replace it. If the heater control valve doesn't move freely I'll replace that. Just posted looking for the vent actuators. Hope someone is parting out a car. Thanks, I think I've got this somewhat figured out. Nice to have this site.