• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Heat and Sound control ?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here is a UTube that I found discussing ways to cool and sound proof a vehicle. I am primarily interested in modifying the underneath area around the transmission tunnel and floor pans where the exhausts creates the most heat.

Have any of you ever experienced this stuff:

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
Have any of you ever experienced this stuff:

Dan- I’ve used a similar product on a past Mustang project. I think it works OK but long haul, I’m not super convinced of the durability since, to be effective for heat control, it needs to be under the car and exposed to the elements.

For my current SI V6 conversion project, I chose to go with the Lizard Skin ceramic coating which helps control both heat and sound. For my 2 cents, I think it results in a much better looking under chassis than an applied patch of material but, that’s just me. I suspect the Lizard Skin is likely not as effective at heat control as the DEI stuff simply because it doesn’t have the reflective nature of the foil but, on the other hand, the ceramic absorbs heat without passing it on so it’s hard to tell. Not sure if there are any well done comparative tests out there...plenty of anecdotal claims I’m sure but not much from a controlled test standpoint.

The Lizard Skin is also nice in that it covers up all the welds and imperfections from the structural repairs that are inevitable in these restoration projects.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I intend to do an overkill probably, interior with Dynamat & LiqardSkin, then underneath the DEI Insulation in the transmission tunnel and along where the exhaust run.

Lizard skin applied in appropriate areas on the underside.

Bill, Do you think I could go with the LiqardSkin then install the DEI deadener. Could it possibly stick to the LiqardSkin ?

Last edited:

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have used a latex paint loaded with ceramic micro spheres to apply a thin insulation to pipes and vessels in my work. It does an amazing job. You can lay your hand on a pipe with 300 degree material flowing through it without getting burned. I had not thought about doing something like that to a car chasis.

I checked out the Lizard Skin, yep, same concept.

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill, Do you think I could go with the LiqardSkin then install the DEI deadener. Could it possibly stick to the LiqardSkin ?
I think it would be fine. The Lizard Skin has a bit of texture but I think the DEI stuff is sticky enough that it would adhere decently especially if you used a little roller to press it on.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have dynamat type material ready for my car, should I ever get it back, but I may double dip with some of the ceramic paint too.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have dynamat type material ready for my car,
Hope it IS NOT Eastman

★★★★★★★★★★2 out of 5 stars.
· 10 years ago
Liked what I read for the most part....

PLease let me start this by saying I selected the above 5 Star rating on "Price" over the Dynamat.

For the "Value" and "Quality", I selected "1 star" because I have not used your product (yet) AND there are no other "Options" upon which I might select!

I've bought (Dynamat) two packages of 36SQ FT at $229.00 PER PACKAGE for my Sunbeam Alpine. I've placed it in as many as possible places available.

It cuts nicely with a sharp knife and forms well!

I LIKE THE PRODUCT VERY MUCH!

Only fault i have is like a previous "Rater" on "your" Eastwood product is that the product is "FOLDED" and causes very bad wrinkles!

Take his suggestion and cut the product into smaller pieces "before" packaging for shipment.

I believe the smaller pieces will be more suited for the customer. It certainly will be for me!

I realize too, that changing production methods might be a problem but if they are "modern" and under a comptuer for control it would be a simple "coding" by some Programer to resolve this minor yet troublesome aspect of your product.

Be the first to correct this "over your competiors!!!

I intend to purchase some of your "Stuff" for my Hardtop soon in order to complete this restoration project.

I have several others cars awaiting restoration and look forward to "saving" money by utilizing your Thermo-Coustic Sound Deadner....

Thanks for allowing me to "sound-Off",

DanR

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Did another review today 6/1/2021 Rated as a 1

You should read it. One of my Alpines I call "TheGreen1" has their product installed from about ten years ago.

Much to my surprise shortly after completion I noticed small spots on the floor underneath theGreen1 that looked like a spider web, after careful observation I determined it was melted tar (black stuff) dripping from the Alpine.

That was then, it stills does it to this day. What a mess to have to keep cleaning up.

I am very thankful I did not get it in the HardTop.

DanR

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
A "low cost" option is Fatmat, a Dynamat type of product. Their "Rattletrap" line is 50% (80 thou) thicker than the regulator Fatmat and 50 sq.ft., probably enough for most guys treating an Alpine, is $109. I installed the regular Fatmat fifteen years ago. It is still firmly attached and has not weeped.

An honest product at a good price.

Bill

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I bought the Siless product from Amazon. I will report on it when I get a chance to install it. It was highly rated on amazon.

Filister

Gold Level Sponsor
I have used a product called "Noico" It is 80 mil thick with an embedded aluminum sheet. I have used it on 3 cars and have not seen any bad qualities. I don't remember the price but is was very competitive on e-bay. I have never done a side by side to compare noise reduction but I am quite happy with it in my Jaguar mk 9 and my Sunbeam Rapier. I have just installed it in my 35 ford. Has anyone else used it?

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
BTW, FWIW, My $.02

Sometime last century, I was at a Cobra club meeting and a guy showed up with a shoe box sized aluminum box

covered with some type of silicone rubber no more than 1/8th in thick.

He was from some aero space co. and thought this product would be perfect to insulate the foot boxes of Cobras.

He had a little propane torch and lit it up, turned it wide open and put the flame on the outside of the insulated box.

He challenged anyone to feel ANY heat on the inside of the box!

It was a VERY impressive demo!

He DID say it was PRICEY stuff!

I have not seen anything more of it since.

...Not that I pay much attention to that kind of stuff... YET.

DW