• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

headlights lost….

inline_eric

Donation Time
HI,
I have a 67 series 5 and just did my monthly start up and warm up…going through the electricals I have found my headlights are not working…the running lights work but when I move the toggle to the third position the headlights don't come on…this is a new problem...for the lights worked last month. I haven't pulled the headlight to check the voltage yet but was wondering if anyone has experienced this…added info: the horns have never worked since I owned it they generate about 11.4 volts at the point of connection but not enough to sound them, I have checked them on 12 volts and they work fine but my car can't seem to get to that range…my point is, are the headlights suffering from inferior voltage, is so, why am I having a voltage drain…

Also…all other electricals work fine.
Thanks Eric

n20p30

Donation Time
If the running lights are working, I'd check the light switch. You are getting power to the switch or no lights would work. I've replaced several of the older Lucas light switches in my Rootes vehicles. One simple way to test the internal connections in the switch is to very slowly apply pressure until the spring flips the connector. Try it a number of times. If the lights come on or flicker, it is the switch. I have no idea if your light problem is connected to the horn and leave it to one of the experts who know much more than me.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Try the high beam swicth on the floor.. if you have an issue there it takes out the headlights.. try clicking it up and down a few times to see if oyu can get light.. if nothing.. check the spades on the high beam switch... on my SII one of them had been takign to much current.. the switch started to fail.. and the headlights went... replaced the switch.. all good again.

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Another vote for the switch, especially if your current lamps draw more amps than the 1960's variety. I replaced a couple of light switches before installing relays on the headlights.

My SII didn't pass enough amperage to blow the horns (probably the carbon brush on the steering wheel). Added relays and they work fine. Looking at the SV wiring diagram, I think the changes I made to the SII would work on the SV. My mod is fully reversible and easy. PM or email me if you want instructions.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I lost my left headlight last spring and checked the connection at multiple points without success. I decided that this was an omen and it was time to finally install the Pete's Performance Wiring kit I'd bought a couple of years ago. I am glad that I installed it, but while I was tearing the old harness out I am pretty sure I discovered that the problem was with the headlight ground wire, which attaches to the front rubber bumpers in the hood channel. It seems unlikely, since both aren't working but is easy enough to check just to be safe.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I'd suspect a bad main switch. Also check the high-beam switch and see if you accidentally knocked the wires off with your foot.

mustang1215

Donation Time
Head light Wireing

Having just gone tru the exact problem,I can tell you after checking all Parts,dimmer switch etc. It was the connections At the fuse block.cleaned them and headlights worked great.good luck

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
You didn't say whether you checked to see if High beams also failed to work. That's the first thing I would check. Then I would try exercising teh dipper switch a few times to see if that cured the problem. Next I would check the grounds at the headlights.

Headlights are quite different than horns. Horns will not work at al if the voltage they get is too low. Headlights will light, but less brightly if voltage is low.

I am puzzled about the voltage reading on your horns. The horns circuit on Alpines is such that battery voltage is always applied to the horns and the ground side of the horns are grounded via the horn ring. So with the horn ring not depressed you should measure full battery voltage at the green terminal on either horn, that is, with the ground lead of the meter connected to chassis. If the 11.4 V you measured was measured across the horn terminals with the horn ring depressed, then you need to measure the voltage at each horn terminal, with the ground lead of the meter connected to chassis. That way you can see if you are losing voltage in the green circuit or (more likely) the ground circuit. Best solution is to add a horn relay. See Hillman's offer for instructions.

Tom H

Stephen

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi Eric
Do you have access to a Power Probe! you can check switches, grounds, and relays without removing part, great tool for diagnostic work

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
My electrical knowledge consists of my knowing it exists. On the relay suggestion, my horns do not work either (actually they give out a rather embarrassing noise). I have several things that I suspect that I should put relays in but have no idea how to do that or what to get. Would any relay do for any application? For example, could I buy a couple of relays from Moss and put them in? Or do I need to get horn relays, headlight relays, etc.?

Thanks guys. Hope your Christmas was good and be safe next week!

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
You can buy generic relays at your local Autozone, Pepp Boys or Napa. Should be under $10 (as a Canadian, I have no idea what they cost down south). The only difference will between them will be 'quality' and rated current flow (amperage). Wiring them is fairly simple as long as you remember electricity flows in 'circles', hence we have electrical circuits.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tracy, go to O'Reily auto parts website, scroll down "Popular categories" and click on "Lighting and Electrical" . Then click on "Replacement Relays (Universal)". You'll see a Dorman P/N 84601. That's one of dozens of choices. Any parts store would have several similar. Or you could use a 6RA relay from an Alpine SV alternator set up, if you wanted a more "period look"

I'll look at my set up to see exactly how I wired my horns. ( I used a 6RA!)

Not sure many other Alpine Ckts need relays. But the horns definitely need one.

Tom

inline_eric

Donation Time
Thanks guys for your help…I figured out the problem. It was a ground wire that came off. I reattached and I have lights again. Now if I can figure out the horn:confused:
Thanks again,
Eric