• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Head Gaskets and DPOs

69boss

Donation Time
Order the 002 and the 005's they are cheap enough, the seats will almost always have to be oversized when they are replaced

sd_pace

Donation Time
Greg.. saw the pics of the pistons... all 4 of the top rings were broken?....must of been a bad set of rings... explains the oil buildup... the bearings wear looks ok but you can tell from the streaks the oil was really dirty...the pic#2 of mikes heads ... top left w/sparkplugs looks ok and it doesnt have the tube plug ports....still it depends on the on the face...
talk latr
steve

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Greg.. saw the pics of the pistons... all 4 of the top rings were broken?....must of been a bad set of rings... explains the oil buildup... the bearings wear looks ok but you can tell from the streaks the oil was really dirty...the pic#2 of mikes heads ... top left w/sparkplugs looks ok and it doesnt have the tube plug ports....still it depends on the on the face...
talk latr
steve

All four top rings broken? Sounds like new rings were installed sometime in the past without also removing the ridges at the top of the cylinders.

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Unless Rootes was experimenting with a two-piece ring design, yep, all four were broken. No, wait, it's bored .020 over, so it's definitely not the work of a Rootes engineer. More like the work of a backyard engineer who didn't feel like going to Autozone and spending the $40 on a deglazer.

In case anyone hasn't been following along, my compression was 75, 90, 90, 0. After pulling the head, finding the head gasket upside down (which blocked the cooling port for #4), as well as discovering a toasted valve in #4, a slightly burned valve in #1, and broken rings front to back, it's all starting to make sense.

And as for the dirtiness of the oil, that, too is the work of a DPO. I drained the oil as soon as I got the car home and only put maybe 100 miles on it before tearing the motor down. Only that which lives in the oil cooler will have anything to do with my car's former life.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I HAVE been following along but I have NOT seen photos of pistons or rings. Is that in some other thread? I searched all posts by Greggers and none show any pics of pistons or rings nor any links to pics. Whassup?

Tom

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Sorry Tom, I didn't mean to be secretive about it. I sent Steve a direct message with images of the pistons in them.

I've shared them below. If you'd like to see larger versions, let me know. I'm not on any of those fun photo-hosting sites.

Attachments

• Piston_1.jpg
    Piston_1.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Piston_2.jpg
    Piston_2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Piston_3.jpg
    Piston_3.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Piston_4.jpg
    Piston_4.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 31

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
OK, that's better. Interesting that all 4 rings "broke" and that all four seem about broken in the middle. It may be that the re-builder deliberately split them in half for some reason? When my engine broke a ring -#4 , of course- it broke off a piece about 1/4" long, and that short piece wobbled in the groove for who knows how long, before it broke thru the top and rattled around in the combustion chamber for about 50 revs or so, before it embedded itself into the alloy head.

Tom

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Three of them appeared to be in half. One of them (I don't recall which right now, but possibly #1 (which is the far left pic)), was more of a 60/40 split (and almost seemed like a 1/4" segment was missing (though it's definitely not anywhere in the head)).

It wouldn't surprise me if a PO split them because they were just too hard to put on. Believe me, that would not be the first bit of creative engineering I've seen on this car.

sd_pace

Donation Time
yes Tom, I had one do that too... on my first beam... it was a 1592 ... bounced around till it melted in... it was the no.1 cyl :eek:

Last edited:

sd_pace

Donation Time
I would think the breaks are because of excessive piston play that let the ring edge roll on either side of the stroke... lookin at the piston burn patterns

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
In my case I think it was due to overheated and possible pinging. The exhaust valve seat area was burned or corroded, only on #4 and I am pretty sure the engine was factory built, even tho this occured in 2005. All the dimensions were stock, and piston numbers, head gasket printing, etc looked factory.

Tom

RootesRooter

Donation Time
OK, that's better. Interesting that all 4 rings "broke" and that all four seem about broken in the middle. It may be that the re-builder deliberately split them in half for some reason? When my engine broke a ring -#4 , of course- it broke off a piece about 1/4" long, and that short piece wobbled in the groove for who knows how long, before it broke thru the top and rattled around in the combustion chamber for about 50 revs or so, before it embedded itself into the alloy head.

Tom

I can't think of a reason that anyone would intentionally break the rings in half before installing. Without the tension of a full ring, they would be barely better than no rings at all.

And if the engine were pinging badly as per the original poster, I'd have expected the tops of the pistons to be deformed/melted first.

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
After reading this thread I am needing to know where to obtain a quality head gasket. I have one but iot looks cheap compared to the one I removed from the car. It seems to be in layers? which are coming apart?

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
In an effort to light a fire under the machinist, I visited there today. He had just finished bead blasting head #2 and showed it to me. Looks really good. (He looks sick as a dog, but that's irrelevant.). It only needs all eight guides replaced.

As an excuse to visit him, I brought the eight o-rings that came in the head gasket set. Those are valve seals, correct? When I handed them to him, he didn't know where they go (I'm starting to believe this is his first Rootes engine). Do they go below the spring retainer? Somewhere else?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
They go IN the valve keeper.

They arent stem seals in the conventional sense, they keep the rocker oil from draining into the retainer and going down the stem into the guide.

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks RootesRacer. That's what I figured and what I suggested to him. I watched him try to pick the old ones out without success. They must be wedged in there good.

I guess they'd have to be. The o-rings in the kit seem way bigger than the ones that are in there. It's almost as if the inside diameter of the new ones are similar to the outside diameter of the old ones.

Or perhaps he was trying to pick something out of the spring retainer. Anybody have a photo of the o-rings in place?

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
So the car is up and running. There's still quite a bit of tweaking to do, but it's running pretty ok, considering.

The distributor does a little tiny figure 8, so that needs to go. It turns out that the Cardone 25D4 reman distributor is NLA at Napa, O'Reilly, and Advance. So I ordered up the Perrtronix one from Advance (for about the same as Napa was charging for the Cardone one).

I did a compression test today and got 140, 135, 140, 140 with the throttle wide open. The lower than standard compression could be because it's bored .020 over with dished pistons. I'm not sure why #2 is lower. I would've bet #3, with its egg-shaped bore would be the lower one.

I'm still having problems with the carb sync. The bolt in the pinch collar was stripped, so it's no surprise they wouldn't work together. I replaced the bolt and at least now they open at the same time (if not at the same rate). My ears are only so good with the hose trick. Need a Uni-syn (which is NLA at O'Reilly).

Colortune works like a champ. The car was running rough and as soon as it went blue, everything smoothed out. I need to get another to do it right, but I'm impressed with what a single one did.

Of course, I can't run it much more until I replace the oil cooler hoses. One of them is hemorrhaging oil. And with all this, I'm hemorrhaging money.

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
Valve Retainer O Rings

The O rings do go into the valve retainer and from my experience the old ones are as "hard as a carp" and I needed to use a sharp tool and hammer to get the old ones out. New ones go in fine, but be sure they seat properly and then install the whole retainer with new O ring.