• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Head gasket

Mark B

Donation Time
Hello all-

I started the Alpine this morning and it sounded like it was missing on a cylinder so I popped the hood to see if a lead was shorting or off. After pulling a few to determine which was not firing, I realized old number four was firing, just not with the same gusto as the others. I immediately shut it down and checked the dipstick, and sure enough, the dreaded milkshake. I opened the radiator and saw the fluid was low and then started it again and headed to the tailpipe. Wonderfully humid and the telltale odor of coolant.:(

This is all a bummer because on Sunday I changed the oil and topped the transmission and then ran the car to heat it up, intending to adjust the valves. I got it good and hot, but ran out of time to adjust, so I just drove it into the garage and parked it.

The heat soak or cooling process must have done the trick and I can picture exactly what I will find when I pop the head. This is the gasket I repaired with much assistance in Tipp City at the Invasion so many years ago, so I cannot complain too much, and I look forward to swapping it out tonight or tomorrow night. Hopefully my trusty straight edge will reveal I can just apply a new gasket and that I have not warped or over-corroded a passage.

Fortunately, I was also able to pick up a great gasket set from SCC earlier today and gawk at the 2 Alpines and Tiger they had in for work. Nice to have a resource available on quick notice so I can get it back in shape.

I will keep you posted on what I find and let you know if scope creep takes over and I start a much bigger project by saying, "well I might as well...

Cheers

Mark B

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
good luck Mark! I still have the choke cable if you need it!:cool:

Remember when you change the head gasket run the car for about 100 miles and then retighten the bolts agian this is important!:cool:

RootesRich

Donation Time
Bummer Mark. Hopefully it is just a gasket swap. I remember your Invasion swap, while working on Todd's engine swap. At the time I was wondering who was going to roll in next.
Like Jarrid, let me know if moral support is needed.

Mark B

Donation Time
Thanks for the support guys. It should be straight forward and its good to look at the insides of the engine every 5 or so years and "read" the cylinders.

George- I am interested and will send a check, but am on the road until the 30th. Many thanks!

Mark B

bmohr

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi Mark B,

Sorry to hear about the head gasket, but hopefully you caught it before any damage occurred. You going to try to make it to SUNI VI?

Since I've been out of the loop for a while, what is SCC?

Take care,

Mark B

Donation Time
Hey Bill! Long time no speak. SCC is Sports Car Craftsmen in Denver. They know British cars well and Sunbeams, (and had the gaskets in stock no less!). I am definitely going to try to make SUNI. I saw a very nice car being prepared for SUNI and hope to head down with that group.

Take care
Mark B

bmohr

Gold Level Sponsor
I don't know if you saw the youtube video but we finally got my little beastie running - basically duct tape and zipties. Enough to whet our appetite a bit and now my middle boy and I are going back through and getting things in shape. It won't be an award winner but fun anyway.

Last summer we went to Colorado for vacation, but missed connecting up with ya' Hopefully will make it to SUNI.

BTW what kind of gaskets did you use? copper or fiber?

All the best,