• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Has anyone reshimmed the cross member?

Gary M

Donation Time
My caster is off by almost 2 degrees from one side to the other. As far as I can tell there never has been any damage to any part of the front end, or the back end for that matter. The alignment guys can't explain it. The aluminum factory shims are still present in good shape. Has anyone ever tried to change the shimming on the cross member? If so, what did you find out?

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
My caster is off by almost 2 degrees from one side to the other. As far as I can tell there never has been any damage to any part of the front end, or the back end for that matter. The alignment guys can't explain it. The aluminum factory shims are still present in good shape. Has anyone ever tried to change the shimming on the cross member? If so, what did you find out?

Gary,

I don't believe that trying to shim the crossmember would be a good idea. Probably more likely to bend the body than twist the crossmember. Also the crossmember has angular pads to support the bolt heads at that angle.

Not sure which front you have. If you have a later front with the rubber bushes in the a-arms. Have those bushes been replaced? I believe that the upper fulcrum pin is not symmetrical ( one end is longer than the other end ). If the fulcrum pin is installed say short end forward on left side and then short end to the rear on the right side, that would alter the caster settings side to side.

Just a wild guess,

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
You do not say as to what the differnce in castor is.Castor by the book is
3 degrees 50 positive with the car preloaded.
You can add shims to the crossmember (see tigers united web site)
I have done this as well.To increase castor you will need to add one or more spacers to the rear bolt of the upper A arm. to decrease add to the front bolt.This will most likely change camber so you will need to check that.
As to Castor it is important to have both sides the same
A 1/4 degree then should be added to the right side

Gary M

Donation Time
Thanks Chuck!

That was just what I needed to read. I had already tried the rear bolt shim on the upper arm but it wasn't enough. Mine was 1 degree 30' positive one side, and 3 degrees 50' positive the other. I definitely need to put a 0.25" shim on the crossmember on the one side to even them up.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
That was just what I needed to read. I had already tried the rear bolt shim on the upper arm but it wasn't enough. Mine was 1 degree 30' positive one side, and 3 degrees 50' positive the other. I definitely need to put a 0.25" shim on the crossmember on the one side to even them up.

Are you preloading your car?

Were your bolts long enough.I had to replace one with a 1/2 inch longer bolt to be able to add extra shims.
Did you read the article at tigers united?The .25 inch shim only adds 2 degrees.You will need to check castor again on the side you did not shim.

Then check camber again.This must all be done before doing any toe adjustment

Enjoy the trip