• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Harrington Tiger

65beam

Donation Time
harrington

wasn't the " mule " car owned by sid silverman for many years. i know he had the one driver race it at SVRA events around the country for many years. i remember it having the heater core area of the bulkhead cut out for the webers. did it need restored when he bought it or was it rebodied due to crash damage after rootes sold it?

alpine_64

Donation Time
I hadn't read that the "mule" car was re-bodied. Didn't all the Lister Tigers start out as Series III's?

I believe you are right, they were all originally S3 Alpines, at least one of them was one of the prototype Tigers or AF (alpine ford) cars.

i hadnt heard about the rebody of the car either.. but IIRC there were photos on the web of its restoration?

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Dick Barker owned the mule he did the complete restoration of it.He was a great help when I was building my Spirit of Lister.

Sid Silverman owned number 9. Yes it was cut back for the webers.I was quite impressed when I first saw it back at Sunil 1.Sid had a foundation that was all about famous race cars.He believed they should be raced.Number 9 has been sold and it was restored to original and was raced at the Lemans historic invitational some years back.It never finished in is race as well.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Dick barker had the mule after it was rebodied.I have seen pictures of the mule before it was rebodied.

All three cars were done by Brian Lister.They were aluminum panels from the front fenders back.He wanted to do a space frame and aluminum body but Lord rootes said no.He was so optimistic that he figured people would come to see Tigers in the showroom after they won at Lemans.

However due to time lines the cars never were given a chance to be fully developed.Still they were impressive as they did reach a 165 MPH on the straights.The corners were hard as they were still a heavy car unlike the Shelby cobras.Not bad for a 260 cube engine I would say.There was some controversy about the engines supplied from Shelby but nothing ever came from that so it might have been sour grapes for all I know.

Still they were fantastic cars for their time.