• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Harrington LM project

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Wow ! Keep us posted how it runs & drives. Where did you order the rear hatch rubber? The profile is a bit unique and smaller than what is normally used on britsh cars...

napa 1

Donation Time
Well, actually I had an auto glass guy that i know measure the one that i have for all of it's dimensions, and then go to his sources to find the one that most closely matches it and still has the groove for the chrome locking strip. He also said it will be much easier to work with and better fitting around the corners than the original style seemed to be. Who knows. Like most Le Mans things..its a puzzle. I hope it's going to work, but at this point, its our best bet. BTW, if it works, I'll have plenty to share with others...comes in rolls of 50' :eek:

65beam

Donation Time
project

john,
whether it means anything or not but your hatch window is the one that was originally in my red car. part of the deal when i bought my car from tom was that he got to keep the glass that was in my car and i took the plexiglass that was in your car when he bought it. the bad news was that i could not use the plexiglass in my car since it was a different size and was too small to fit my hatch seal. we used a universal seal that was available at that time and had another piece of plexiglass cut for the hatch. that was over thirty years ago and most glass shops stocked the seal. i had macgregor in canada make three sets of lemans furflex for me. i wonder if he could make the seals to mount the hatch? the seal that ian sent with my RHD car isn't the best either. i think i'll contact him and check on making the seal.

napa 1

Donation Time
Sounds good Bob. Yes I bought the furflex from macgregor as well and it is beautiful and fits well. I'm hoping the the seal I get from my supplier is a match..we'll see. Again, if it works and is close to the original, I'm happy to make the extra 40' i have available to those who need it.
Sadly the glass that I have has a big scratch in it..so I'll have to order a replacement one of these days.

65beam

Donation Time
project

john,
if the glass has a light scratch in it you can take it to a glass shop and it can be buffed out. i had wiper scratches on the series 4 windshield and they buffed out. if it's deep it can't be done. with the hatch glass not being flat it may be difficult to have one made. i did have door and side windows reproduced. the local shop cut them out of 3/16 inch glass and then sent them to columbus to be tempered. i think i have roughly 50.00 to 60.00 in the door glass.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
We had a small batch of rear hatch windows reproduced @ Pilkingtons in UK earlier. In order to get the fit right had to provide them with a spare hatch gate. Not sure whether any are left but for those interested check with Arnoud in Holland...