• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Harrington Gathering Pacific Nowrthwest

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Great time in the Pacific Northwest. The three Harringtons in Washington State gathered at the Western ABFM. Buell Ish, Marc Stenchever, and myself enjoyed the informative exchanges with each other and with the many visitors and participants.

Cheers to all of the Harrington and Sunbeam owners around the world,

Jerry Logan

Attachments

• Harrington Gathering.jpg
    Harrington Gathering.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Harrington gathering in Washington State.jpg
    Harrington gathering in Washington State.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 69

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jerry cars look great together. I haven't seen Buell's car in ages... nice to see it still looking so good. Wonder how many people realised what a rare line-up they were viewing.

65beam

Donation Time
harrington

is the series D a black car? I have never seen this car but have driven the other D in the states. it's a midnight blue car. sad that they ended up on opposite sides of the country.

GlennB

Silver Level Sponsor
Harrington gathering

Great to see the cars together, looking great too!

Best regards, GlennB HLM

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Very nice and thanks for sharing. Can you post more photos please? Eric

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Glen,

My ride in your Le Mans race car with a fresh engine along with visiting Janne in Sweden, Bernd in Germany, and the Oulton Park vintage races with John Roseby in England made me long to have my Le Mans back. It is sweet!

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Bob-we did have 5 Harringtons at the TE/AE United at Covington, KY. That has to be the record for North America.

65beam

Donation Time
harrington

eric,
a local business man in Cincinnati has bought a lemans and it is now going thru a restoration. it's the car that was sold thru an estate sale in Columbus last October. that gives us another in ohio. it also is carnival red.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Those cars had a Nice display of colors:D

RED, White, & Blue.... did anyone notice??

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan

We all noted the Red (Marc's) - White (mine) - and - Blue (Buell's) configuration. Buell bought the Union Jack and made a great stand out of an Alpine wheel to compliment the display. With a soft breeze all day it did make for a wonderful event and exhibit.

What was unique about this gathering wasn't how many Harringtons but that there were two of the rarest Harringtons at the same show. Buell's Series "D" (12 made) and my USA promotional car that was on the Cover of Car & Driver April, 1962. I haven't seen the other running D model but I believe Buell's Harrington "D" is the best example of that model. For me the highlight of the gathering was the ability to share side by side viewings of the unique characteristics of each of our cars. For example, my Moonstone (#19) Harrington Le Mans (HLM) was one of two of the first HLMs known to come into the USA to promote the HLM during the spring of 1962. The other, a Red (#39) promotional car, was on the on the cover of Road and Track June, 1962. Looking over Marc's production HLM we found six distinct differences between the promotional car and the production car. You can find an article on this topic at Janne Iggbom's Harrington Website under Models/Le Mans. A quick list of the differences follows:

1) The rear side panels are like the Harrington Alpine Series "A" with a three
piece configuration unlike the production HLM with only one piece.
2) The microcell seats had cloth inserts where the production models were all
vinyl or leather (if ordered as such).
3) Rear seat cushions do not have pleats like the production models
4) Lack of seal plates where all production models had them.
5) Lack of Harrington Badges on the glove box and valve cover
6) Most recent finding - there wasn't a spring load base or device for
the rear hatch unlike the production models which all the way through the Series "D" had one. I've always wonder why they would have made it like mine because it is so hard to open after releasing the latch. (Photos attached)

Carrying on with this Red-White and Blue theme I noted a possible combination of three promotional cars for the USA market. From Janne's Harrington Website the registry shows a Blue (#53 LRX for export) HLM made at about the same time as the Red and White one. Maybe there was actually an "All American" Red - White and Blue promotional collection sent to the USA spring of 1962 to market the HLM. Rootes may have well been trying to win over American buyers aligning to the General Motors Le Mans 24 hour campaign of 1960 with "All American" Red - White - and Blue Corvettes competing.

Attachments

• Le Mans promotional car lower rear hatch base 2.jpg
    Le Mans promotional car lower rear hatch base 2.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Production Le Mans.jpg
    Production Le Mans.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Series D Harrington.jpg
    Series D Harrington.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 47
  • HLM Gathering 3.jpg
    HLM Gathering 3.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 50

65beam

Donation Time
harrington

I had the hatch springs reproduced and chrome plated. the plating shop I use is also a fab shop so it was a simple matter for them.

cdk84

Donation Time
Red, White and Blue theme: "All American"?

There is precedent for the 'Red, White and Blue' theme in British automotive (racing) history. When Singer fielded a team of 1.5 liter cars for LeMans in the early 30s (1934, I think), they assembled 3 cars whose colors were red, white and blue. Known affectionately as "This, That, and 'Tother" they had nothing to do with the American market. Conspicuous was the absence of what we now think of as British Racing Green, however this was before the fixed attribution of particular colors being associated with specific countries.

The Union Jack is comprised of red, white and blue. Is it reasonable to assume the Brits were thinking of both 'us' and 'them' in sending over a red, white and blue trio of Harrington LeMans cars to introduce the new model? I think it can be seen both ways.

As the release was for the LeMans model commemorating the Index of Thermal Efficiency win by the works team Harrington, 3000 RW, it's conceivable --if a bit of a stretch-- to think the red, white and blue motif could have been selected to acknowledge the LeMans Index win, flouting the French national flag colors into the bargain, by the Brits thumbing their noses at the French. A little back story: the Index was created to offer the smaller, less powerful cars --read the French makes, like Panhard-- a chance to win something. In 1961, when the Brits took the win, it was very significant: the purse was greater than that awarded the second place finisher.

65beam

Donation Time
pacific

jerry,
you have the white one and you and i both know where the red one is. we also know what happened to the blue one. does that add up to three?