• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Harrington Alpines at Le Mans

NN LeMans

Donation Time
Fellow Harrington Owners and All Sumbeam Enthusiasts-

I ran across a You Tube video of film made by Triumph titled "Triumphs at LeMans". It is a documentary on the Triumph sports car racing effort at Le Mans in 1961. While much of the discussion is about the Triumphs, the narrarator mentions their competitors, including Sunbeam. The racing footage occassionly shows the Harrington Alpines at work. It is also pretty good at providing a broad overview of the race and the track. Watching vintage sports cars and factory entries race is always exciting. This film may be old news to some of you but I thought I would share it for everyone to see. Click on the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGfQOLFHgYE to see the film on You Tube.

NN LeMans

GlennB

Silver Level Sponsor
Great video!

What a great video, thanks. Triumph certainly earned their team prize. Also nice to see the few clips of the Alpines. Triumph obviously went with a film crew expecting to make a film whereas Sunbeam let that opportunity pass. I always wondered how it was that we have not really heard of the Triumph success before. Maybe it was because they had a 2 litre twincam non-production engine whereas the Alpines managed to do the job with the much smaller and standard engine configuration and it translated to the road cars. I didn't see any seatbelts and note that there was no protective gear for the refuelling. In fact proper fireproof protection wasn't used until the mid-to-late 90's at Le Mans. I have a PR shot of refueling with no more than a helmet and gloves. GB

alpine_64

Donation Time
the same production team followed the sunbeams and other brit teams at the LM and various rallies. Rootes realsed a film with much of the same footage and voice over for their efforts that year.. and in the other years they competed.. look for "tiger sharpens its claws" and there is an alpine title as well.