• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hardware re-attaching rear springs Series V

dwolff706

Donation Time
When I removed the leaf springs, I noted the front shackle mount hardware was ordered differently left and right sides (one of the toothed washers was outside the shackle ears on R. side).

Following the picture marked "8" on WSM Section 11 Rear Suspension page 2 the order is clear but where do the bracket-ears fall in the sequence?

Is it bolt, bracket, flat washer, tooth washer, rubber dust cover, spring, rubber dust cover, tooth washer, bracket, nut?

Any tips on getting it all to stay in place while pushing the bolt through?

Last question, the WSM doesn't mention lubrication that I saw, seems like it should be greased, N'est Pais?

Thanks in advance for the answers I know will come.
D
Bump

Last edited:

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Last question first - should not need lube on the bolt, but some anti-seize might be helpful if needing to take things apart again. The rubber part of the bushing flexes while the metal spacer tube should be locked solidly between the frame mounting ears.

With that said, I think the toothed washers might have been inside to help lock the spacer in place. That would leave any flat and spring washers on the outside of the frame mounts.

The pic I referenced in WSM124 only shows one tooth washer on the head end of the bolt assembly, under the flat washer. That's not where I would normally consider it to be in the assembly. You might want check the spring bushing spacer and frame mounts for markings from previous assembly to help solve this question.

HTH & YMMV

Last edited: