• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hardtop value?

shagbeam

Donation Time
I have an SIV hard top that is probably typical condition for a Michigan top. Windows are intact but fogged. Most of the rubber is hard. The rear window stainless trim is missing. It has a good headliner. There is rust inside under the rear window but no rust through on the exterior. It could be used as is but needs a restoration. I've been offered $250 trade value. Is this fair or would I be better off selling it outright? I've seen tops on ebay with high reserves but I don't know what they are actually selling for.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Some PIC's would be valuable....

If you post some pictures, Forum guys will give you their suggestions.

I suggest PIC's be made of all areas of the Hard Top.

How about the hard ware i.e. latches, window locks etc.,

Rust is a major problem!

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Appearences

Can be deceiving. The drain holes are covers by the hard top feet and you don't see till you get them apart how bad they are.

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
Hardtop Value

I recently acquired two late series hardtops for $300 each. Both had severe dings and dents...no hardware, no windows. Just the basic metal hardtop, but both had the drip rail covers, also dinged and damaged. The only good thing was that they both were 98% rust free. Sold one for same price paid, restored the other one. Including purchase price, with body work, paint, drip rails repaired, headliner w/bows, all new rubber and window, hardware to attach to car, I'm at a little over $1700. I have restored several other hardtops over the years and they usually come in from $1800 to $2200 ( including stainless trim around the back window ). I guess the cost is determined by how much you want the hardtop and how much it's going to take to properly restore it. I have seen some pretty rough hardtops that were in the $750 to $1000 range that were not much more than scrap metal. I gladly paid the $300 apiece for these last two and would again if I could find some. That's my experience with hardtop values. I hope this information give you some idea toward values.:)

Alpine66

Donation Time
I much prefer the soft top over the hard and it just takes up room, might sell mine. Prices are better than I thought.

What are the fiberglass tops worth?

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I much prefer the soft top over the hard and it just takes up room, might sell mine. Prices are better than I thought.

What are the fiberglass tops worth?

I paid $100 for mine. It was structurally solid, but a real mess. Nice part about 'glass, you don't need any special skills to repair or modify it. I excel at no special skills.

I think a 'glass top should be valued at slightly less than the stock tops.

While not stock, they are much more usable. When properly fitted, they can be removed and reinstalled in just a minute or so and be weather tight. I have heard way too many stock top owners state "We finally got it on and the *&%$@ is going to stay on". If a person wants air conditioning AND an open car on nice days, the glass top is the answer as the cloth top is way too breezy to use with AC and the stock hard top too difficult to install.

Bill

Last edited:

Cali_59

Donation Time
If anyone has a set of S1-2 bows. I would be happy to send you a big enough rolled sheet of graph paper, a fine tipped sharpie, return envelope/ return shipping funds/ six pack funds!.. if you would be so kind as to trace each bow on graph paper, aligning them up at a similar starting point of course and in line with the graph lines..

Thanks! Chris
Happy Easter!

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Guy's that have fresh paint on their car don't really want to put the hardtop on in fear of the dreaded footprint. Hard to ship them to the areas where they may be needed. I'd like one that has been altered with a sunroof as everybody love to do in the 80s . I have some plans for a custom .

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Guy's that have fresh paint on their car don't really want to put the hardtop on in fear of the dreaded footprint. Hard to ship them to the areas where they may be needed. I'd like one that has been altered with a sunroof as everybody love to do in the 80s . I have some plans for a custom .

Though this onesunbeamhardtopfiberglass1.jpg is aftermarket 'glass (Honeyborne?) ... it does look shape! ..... Davidsunbeamhardtopfiberglass.jpg

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I'm away from my computer . I have a picture of AF2 with a in period Webasto roof.
Reasonable facsimiles are made by Automatic Sunroof Corporation. They are similar to a small version of a Volkswagen rag roof .