• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hardtop Rear Window

tigereater

Silver Level Sponsor
We placed our SII hardtops on our current SI driver this weekend. The rear window needs a bit of attention. It's not to shabby, but it is cloudy. We are wondering if anyone has tried using the 3M lens polishing kit or similar product on a Sunbeam rear window?
Thanks,
Gina
20201115_112605.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
Start by testing anything in the corners of the window incasebit reacts with the perspex.

Cloudimg can be removed.. Crazing is harder to deal with.

You can wet sand with 1000 or 2000 grit sandpaper and then spray a clear coat on as well.

I belive bill blue may have done a write-up on his experiments on his HT.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Start by testing anything in the corners of the window incasebit reacts with the perspex.

Cloudimg can be removed.. Crazing is harder to deal with.

You can wet sand with 1000 or 2000 grit sandpaper and then spray a clear coat on as well.

I belive bill blue may have done a write-up on his experiments on his HT.
I painted my rear window with clear topcoat. Sand the surface to remove any haze, then paint, the paint will "remove" cloudiness, deep scratches, cracks and the fine scratches from sanding. Did a great job, but of course can do nothing about internal haze or crazing. A major benefit is the paint is not prone to micro scratching from cleaning.

Bill

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I wonder if the kits made to remove cloudiness in modern headlight covers would work well?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I wonder if the kits made to remove cloudiness in modern headlight covers would work well?

That is a good question.

Modern headlights / covers are typically made from polycarbonate resin (Lexan is a common trade name). Polycarbonates are very strong, but are not very abrasion resistant and a "scratch resistant" coating is usually applied to the exposed surfaces. Once the coating is gone, poly-carbonate headlights quickly become "fogged."

The hardtop rear window in question is almost certainly "Perspex" or "Plexiglass" which are trade names for poly methyl methacrylate or PMMA.

It seems reasonable to assume that the DIY headlight polishing kits are designed to work on polycarbonate resin. I would expect the "cut and buff" process to be about the same for both materials, but there is a good chance that any "protective coatings" would be different.

All of that is a fancy way of saying "maybe."

Last edited:

tigereater

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks all. I think I have a good idea of what to try with those tips. I'll pass them on to my husband. Makes sense that modern headlight polishing kits might not work on plexiglass. Who'd have thought he'd be driving our Alpine to work with the window down in mid November in Colorado. lol
Gina