• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hardtop Headliner Installation

donchiotos

Donation Time
I am going to install the hardtop head liner I got from Sunbeam Specialities. I just finished the finial primer for inside and outside of the hardtop. My next step is to paint the inside prior to headliner installation. I was woundering if there is a special glue that is used along with the clips to attach the material to the hardtop? The front has the long metal piece that is rivited to hardtop. The side is held in place by clips. Same with the rear window. The two back pillars is where I think I need to glue. Then when I removed the old headliner it seemed to have a thin coat all around? So, has anyone installed the headliner, and where did you glue it, all around, or at different locations? Also what glue did you use, and where did you get it? Thank you

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
The glue you must use can be found at automotive paint and body supply stores and is made specificly for auto trim use.
Avoid the spray can glue from parts stores and hardware stores, even if the label says automotive trim, it doesnt hold up:mad:

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Well, you need the right contact cement in a spray can, and the 3M super headliner cement should be okay.
Jan

kmathis

Donation Time
Hi,

I am working on my Hardtop just now as well, and when I was taking mine apart the headliner was glued on the B post like you say, and also along the area where the rear window rubber goes, it was wrapped and glued over the rear window opening edge. I have pictures of what it looked like before i took it apart if you would like those. If so, please send me your e-mail address and I will send. :)

donchiotos

Donation Time
Hardtop

Hi,

I am working on my Hardtop just now as well, and when I was taking mine apart the headliner was glued on the B post like you say, and also along the area where the rear window rubber goes, it was wrapped and glued over the rear window opening edge. I have pictures of what it looked like before i took it apart if you would like those. If so, please send me your e-mail address and I will send. :)

Thanks, My email is donchiotos@hotmail.com,

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Kelly, You have done us all a great favor by providing the step by step PIC's of your Hard Top disassembly AND THE FINAL PRODUCT:D

Beautiful work too!

kmathis

Donation Time
Well, just so we are clear; I did have the headliner done at an upholstery shop...as Clint Eastwood said in one of his movies "A man needs to know his limitations" and I ruined one headliner trying to "do it myself", and I didn't want to ruin a second one. I found out my limitations with that.

I did everything else, including the paint work.:)

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Kelly, you don't have to make excuses for that good of work.... Looks nice beyond measure,

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
I will be rebuilding one in the not to distant future and wonder if anyone has a suggestion for a more modern insulation material?
Also, some months [or years back] there was available on Ebay stainless steel top bows for about $80.00 . Anyone have info as to who that was or if still available?

alpine_64

Donation Time
I will be rebuilding one in the not to distant future and wonder if anyone has a suggestion for a more modern insulation material?
Also, some months [or years back] there was available on Ebay stainless steel top bows for about $80.00 . Anyone have info as to who that was or if still available?

For modern insulation a few people have used dynamat and recomended its results. Some have used similar products amd a few used a spray on insulation like .lizard skin.

On a si/ii top you would have to be careful applying something like dyna mat as i belive you need to aplly it firmly with a roller... Not ideal on an early aluminium top.

As for the repro bows Iirc they are for the s3-V hardtop and are different from the bows on the sI/II.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor

Doug, I fab'd about ten sets half of them stainless. Sold them for about that price as I recall.

Aother guy started selling on Ebay for $100 upwards plus. I quit because of the hard work involved getting them formed (bent) and proper lengths. Notice I said length (s) ?..
I do not have any more for sale. But I have a decent set that is left over you can have if you show up at the Greenville show:) How's that for a deal?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
For modern insulation a few people have used dynamat and recomended its results. Some have used similar products amd a few used a spray on insulation like .lizard skin.

Michael, Your mention of LizardSkin reminded me of my use of it in my Alpine restoration Projects (including the Hardtop).

I have my tops Chem dipped. Use POR15 with a brush, Dynamat then LizardSkin by brush. In addition I have a 1/4" thick mat that serves as an underlay for flooring. It glues well to the other stull (LizardSkin) and all to gether perform well for sound deadner and heat control. Love my quite Blue Boy V6 with the Hardtop on and the A/C running:)

P.S. I tried a similar product to Dynamat (Eastwood) because of a cheap price, but discovered it would not retain its "stickem" like Dynamat ands above all it melts at room temperture and will run (leak) on anything down below. If you care to see some of the mess that is still oozing out just ask for a few PIC's.... Never again.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.”

― Benjamin Franklin

Last edited: