• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

hard wheel clunking when braking

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Van Bagley, I am fitting the MGB Chrome tubeless wire wheels which are 4.5" wide as opposed to 4" on the original. This wheel has minimal differences in offset or backspacing but should fill the wheel arch a bit better. When shod with a 165/75 14 tyre it increases the gearing fractionally (around 1%). This was a fitment that MWS recommended. They do another 14" wire wheel that they quote for a 'Tiger' fitment (even though Tigers didn't have wires) but these are 5.5" wide and recommend using wider tyres and I didn't want to go that wide.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Van Bagley, I am fitting the MGB Chrome tubeless wire wheels which are 4.5" wide as opposed to 4" on the original. This wheel has minimal differences in offset or backspacing but should fill the wheel arch a bit better. When shod with a 165/75 14 tyre it increases the gearing fractionally (around 1%). This was a fitment that MWS recommended. They do another 14" wire wheel that they quote for a 'Tiger' fitment (even though Tigers didn't have wires) but these are 5.5" wide and recommend using wider tyres and I didn't want to go that wide.
Tim, i wonder what spec the Tiger wheels are.. Assume aston Martin DB or Healey 3000.. Stromver spokes and probably 72 spoke wheels.

Ive seen a couple of Tigers fitted with 14 and 15 knock on wires... On a stock car they are probably ok in 72 spoke with normal tyres.... A modified Tiger or one with grippy modern sports tyres would be breaking spokes in no time.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Michael,
They are 72 spoke (as opposed to 60) and as you say are probably the same spec as an Aston or Austin-Healey.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Would never feel tempted to run wire wheels on a Tiger. Even though we have one in our club...

Van Bagley

Donation Time
I have discovered that part of the big clunk is coming from the right rear axle. How common is this and do I have to pull the diff out to fix it.
I lost a rear axle once when racing my Lotus Cortina at Laguna Seca. Are the parts available?

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
I have discovered that part of the big clunk is coming from the right rear axle. How common is this and do I have to pull the diff out to fix it.
I lost a rear axle once when racing my Lotus Cortina at Laguna Seca. Are the parts available?

To differentiate between axle/diff backlash, jack up that rear wheel and apply the park brake; now the axle can't turn. If you can still rock the wheel back and forth in rotation the play is in the splines.

Last edited:

Van Bagley

Donation Time
It appears that I have weak hubs as well as a bad right axle. Can I just replace one axle or do I need to replace both and do I need special tools?

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Van, I'm in Thousand Oaks, California. I have rear axles and wire hubs that I believe to be pretty decent, I removed them from my 67 Series V when I went with steel wheels. I think the bearings are also good. Guaranteed money back on these axles.
Not interested in shipping, but the price would be very reasonable. Free........ If you can get them picked up they're yours.
Pulling the hub and axle off as a unit is pretty easy. No need to pull the differential. Now if you need to change the hub and bearing, whole different matter.

Last edited:

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
It appears that I have weak hubs as well as a bad right axle. Can I just replace one axle or do I need to replace both and do I need special tools?
The late Ed Eslinger removed the hub from the axle by loosening the nut on the axle and used a threaded piece of pipe and two caps put in the hub with a little of the cap sticking out and put the spinner on and hit the spinner with the knock off hammer.

Van Bagley

Donation Time
Really temping to drive down to Thousand Oaks. Only problem doing it in one day which I need to think about. Not big on staying in a motel these days. I don't have any bearing leaks so I don't have to go thru that drill.