• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hard Top/Soft Top

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
I'm in the need of the hard/soft top latches, but I've run into a delima. I ordered a set for a Series II, but was told that he only has them for the Series 3 thru V and Tigers, this suprised me as I thought they were all the same. What is the difference between them?:confused:

alpine_64

Donation Time
I'm in the need of the hard/soft top latches, but I've run into a delima. I ordered a set for a Series II, but was told that he only has them for the Series 3 thru V and Tigers, this suprised me as I thought they were all the same. What is the difference between them?:confused:

try eric G or robert jaarsman.. think they havep parted some SI/II's

socorob

Donation Time
i was just coming on here to ask about this myself. i have a s2, with the chrome hinge piece on or the soft top, is the door supposed to be able to open and close next to the piece, or does the little door land on top of the chrome piece? oops, i think im talking about something totally different, sorry, i meant the hinges for the little doors

alpine_64

Donation Time
i was just coming on here to ask about this myself. i have a s2, with the chrome hinge piece on or the soft top, is the door supposed to be able to open and close next to the piece, or does the little door land on top of the chrome piece? oops, i think im talking about something totally different, sorry, i meant the hinges for the little doors

if you are talking about the 2 hinged panels that cover the soft top behind the B posts, they sit inline with the top of the B post cap and resr on the metal drain rail that holds the rubber seal round the body.

socorob

Donation Time
yes thats it, thanks, not to hijack your thread, but which is correct for a series 2, and does it matter functionally for the aluminum strips that go round the back? i have a shorter squared off back piece, with 1 short side cut square, or a longer back piece in yellow, thats cut at an angle, with 2 shorter short pieces also cut at an angle. i can take a picture of the soft top clamps if you would like that came with my car, i suppose theyre the right ones. i could also post measurements.

Attachments

• alumtrimwide.jpg
    alumtrimwide.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 24
  • alumtrimclose.jpg
    alumtrimclose.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 17

lord_rootes

Donation Time
Speaking of soft tops my Series II has a soft top that supposedly came from Sunbeam Specialties (how long ago I don't know). It has no zipper or snaps on the top behind the B pillar as it should and was fastened in behind the drain strip of which you speak. The previous owner only had the top folded down once and it took him a long time to get it folded away. No wonder! I tried it and couldn't get it tucked away no matter how hard I tried. It was then that I found some instructions on this site about how to fold away the top and discovered that the sides behind the B pillar have to undo and fold in. That made much more sense but still don't know why my top doesn't have this feature.
Anyways what I've done is taken off the metal drain rails and applied velcro strips to the body and top and will fasten it that way for now. If it works ok and doesn't leak I might just leave it. Otherwise I'll have to get a new soft top. Still can't figure out why this one didn't come with a way to release the sides.
To Alpine Bob, on the topic of latches for the Series II I'll have a look in my box of spares and see if I have any. I'll let you know tomorrow.
Thanks,
Alan

alpine_64

Donation Time
Allan and Rob,

We shoudl really move this to another thread... but to answer both your questions;

Rob,
The SI/II have different metal retainers that go round the rear. the later ones will seal the top to far round at the back and make it harder to fold correctly.. IIRC the straight vutones are correct.. but cant tell you without looking.

Allan,
The alpines have no zippers on the tops.. from what it sounds the previous owner has made a comon mistake for people not familiar with the cars to seal the soft top behind the drip rails all the way round.. the rear peice only should retain the top. You need to remove it from the side retainers and the flaps hang down inside to the gutters and the hinged panels fold over them. There should be no fastening studs on the body for SI/II.. they have a tennex fastener just above the B post on the frame that secures the top.

socorob

Donation Time
in my owner manual for the series 2, it oesnt have a zipper, a you unsnap the sides from where the top frame pivots, and fold the 2 side flaps up and over the roof then close it.i kno the top for the series 2 in the VB catalog says no zipper also.

chris

Donation Time
Rob,
The SI/II have different metal retainers that go round the rear. the later ones will seal the top to far round at the back and make it harder to fold correctly.. IIRC the straight vutones are correct.. but cant tell you without looking.

Allan,
The alpines have no zippers on the tops.. from what it sounds the previous owner has made a comon mistake for people not familiar with the cars to seal the soft top behind the drip rails all the way round.. the rear peice only should retain the top. You need to remove it from the side retainers and the flaps hang down inside to the gutters and the hinged panels fold over them. There should be no fastening studs on the body for SI/II.. they have a tennex fastener just above the B post on the frame that secures the top.

Would you, or if someone else already has them, post some photos of a properly installed soft top? I think there are a lot of us out there with similar soft top problems.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Would you, or if someone else already has them, post some photos of a properly installed soft top? I think there are a lot of us out there with similar soft top problems.

Chris,

We really should put this on the tech section. There are really 4 types of tops on alpines:

SI - 3 window
SII - 2 widow with cantrails 9though rails are almost always missing)
S3-IV - foldout frame with tension cable
SV - fold out frame with velcro

As for fit, it seems that its easier to get the fabric tops to fit better than the vynil ones. Often the vynil tops have a crease on the rear 1/4 where the tension between the body and the vertical frame rail has not been set right.

Also a big thing on ALL models is that people dont set the screens correctly, you should adjust the angle of the screen so that the frame have the dorrect clearences for the side windows.

lord_rootes

Donation Time
Thanks Michael,
So I should get rid of the velcro I've put on and re-install the drain channels letting the hinged panels hold down the loose fabric as you have mentioned. I was wondering how this all worked and now I get it!
Many thanks,
Alan

Allan and Rob,

We shoudl really move this to another thread... but to answer both your questions;

Rob,

Allan,

lord_rootes

Donation Time
Hi Bob,
I had a look in my spares and I'm afraid I don't have any extra latches. The two I have are really rusted and I will need them for my hard top.
Sorry,
Alan

lord_rootes

Donation Time
Hi Michael,
I forgot to mention one thing regarding the zipper and snap info. I got it from some instructions that were printed up in an issue of the Alpine Marque magazine (issue 5, page 35).
Thanks,
Alan

Thanks Michael,
So I should get rid of the velcro I've put on and re-install the drain channels letting the hinged panels hold down the loose fabric as you have mentioned. I was wondering how this all worked and now I get it!
Many thanks,
Alan

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi Michael,
I forgot to mention one thing regarding the zipper and snap info. I got it from some instructions that were printed up in an issue of the Alpine Marque magazine (issue 5, page 35).
Thanks,
Alan

Are the marques all on the site now? Not sure what zippers are involved in a SI/II top.. there are some in teaneau

lord_rootes

Donation Time
I know a fellow in New York State that has a Series II and his has a zippers that run from the B pillar back on the side of the top.
I have now put the drain channels back on but I think I will add velcro on top of them just to secure it a bit better as it's quite loose fitting without it.
Thanks,
Alan