• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Happy 20th anniversary to my Alpine 17/11/2016

alpine_64

Donation Time
Today marks the 20th anniversary with my series II alpine, it's hard to believe that this day 20 year's ago I was preparing for my final high school exam and spent an alarming amount of time starring at my new found pride and joy.

In the intervening years we have have had many adventures and the car has evolved in that time. It's had 4 types of wheels: factory wires, superlites, factory steels and panasports.

The engine has been breathed on several times, modified chambers, inlets and exhausts, flat tops, electronic ignition. It's gone from the factory twin Zenith's to the rare twin holbay 40DCOE 34/35's and has a complete Alexander conversions twin SU setup in the wings as well as a single dgv just incase I ever get rational.

The car has cobra classic seats and is on it's 3rd mota-lita wheel. It's also acquired a full sync overdrive box and factory hardtop along with telescopic rear shock conversion and rootes spot lamps.

It has had a public life, aside from hundreds of club runs and classic shows it has featured at Melbourne's federation square, been a parade lap car at the Australian grand prix in 2012 and featured in 2 music videos, 1997 screaming jet's "eve of destruction" and 2013 Vance Joy's " play with fire".

So happy anniversary to my series II, you are part of my family, my identity and I look forward to another 20 years of stories and evolution.

Attachments

• 1963-SII-ALPINE-00.jpg
    1963-SII-ALPINE-00.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20100131-fedsqr-Alpine-mk-06.jpg
    20100131-fedsqr-Alpine-mk-06.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC_0973.jpg
    DSC_0973.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 2012_AGP-MKING-02-email.jpg
    2012_AGP-MKING-02-email.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0871.jpg
    DSC_0871.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 12

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I lie the story line

and the history behind your Alpine....

Yes it and you are part of our History here at the SAOCA:D

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Happy Anniversary, Michael! As one of the only ones here who has ridden in the car, I can attest that it is one very nice Alpine!

65beam

Donation Time
20th

Who else has owned their sunbeams twenty years or longer? My series 4 has been in the family for 50+ years. let's hear from other long time owners .

alpine_64

Donation Time
Happy Anniversary, Michael! As one of the only ones here who has ridden in the car, I can attest that it is one very nice Alpine!

Hey s man, it's funny the photo of fed square was the day you ride in it! Though had gone from 41° that day to 25° and showers by that night. You were the first saoca member to go in it.

Jerry Logan did about 500miles in it in 2015 and Rick and bonnie from CAT about 1000 miles in 2014.

Have to get you down here again!

alpine_64

Donation Time
and the history behind your Alpine....

Yes it and you are part of our History here at the SAOCA:D

The alpine lead me to saoca and so many wonderful friendships, wish done of the original crew were still a little more active, be nice to see Jim E and Jose on more often, Ian and a few of the other early forum guys.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Almost forgot it's wedding duty roles....

Attachments

• IMGP0452.jpg
    IMGP0452.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMGP0422.jpg
    IMGP0422.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 1fTas_Tour_r_107.jpg
    1fTas_Tour_r_107.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 12

65beam

Donation Time
20th

George,
Dougie asked me today why they found a bunch of old brazed repairs to the front end of my series 4. I finally told him about stuffing it into two trees after losing control on ice back in 1970. He said something like thank gosh for migs.

65beam

Donation Time
20th

The alpine lead me to saoca and so many wonderful friendships, wish done of the original crew were still a little more active, be nice to see Jim E and Jose on more often, Ian and a few of the other early forum guys.

Michael,
you do know that several no longer own Sunbeams and others no longer have any interest in cars ? Jobs, families and life get in the way. That sometimes includes kids, mini vans, student loans and a thing called a mortgage. Life moves on and money goes towards things other than cars.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I miss Nick O'd too! Loved having his "added comments " :D

DanR

P.S. And as we all perhaps one day get too old to drive our cars for various reason we too shall drop by the way side.... Maybe we can be eemembered for Helping to Keep'em On-the-Road.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Who else has owned their sunbeams twenty years or longer? My series 4 has been in the family for 50+ years. let's hear from other long time owners .

Bought mine June 23, 1979. It was the PO's parts car that came with the rust bucket he was driving. Total cost, including hard top, was $600. I ultimately traded the rust bucket for a set of new shocks.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I bought my first, a 1965 SIV St OD color code 70 in 1980 from a friend (Kirby) who bought it (New) in England.

He had bought another '65 SIV Alpine GT with the BW35 for parts with intentions of restoring. I gave $1000.00 for the ST in original condition with everything including the Hardtop and He threw-in the GT. I almost did not bring it home because of so much rust.

DanR

65beam

Donation Time
20th

I miss Nick O'd too! Loved having his "added comments " :D

DanR

P.S. And as we all perhaps one day get too old to drive our cars for various reason we too shall drop by the way side.... Maybe we can be eemembered for Helping to Keep'em On-the-Road.

Dan,
Their are owners with problems that prevent making long drives in an Alpine almost impossible. Those problems don't prevent the owners from making trips in a much easier riding vehicle with a Sunbeam hauler in tow. The wife's back problems may dictate a larger tow vehicle in the future.

Attachments

• 107_0188.jpg
    107_0188.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Michael,
you do know that several no longer own Sunbeams and others no longer have any interest in cars ? Jobs, families and life get in the way. That sometimes includes kids, mini vans, student loans and a thing called a mortgage. Life moves on and money goes towards things other than cars.

I'm still in touch with them, so know what they are doing.. it's a real shame some don't move on.....

65beam

Donation Time
I'm still in touch with them, so know what they are doing.. it's a real shame some don't move on.....

I agree. I've been around since the start and over the years I've seen many come and make a splash and then they sell the car and fade away to never be heard of again. They have other things happening in their lives and life gets in the way. Some just hang around forever. Those are the facts.