• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

guilt trip

skywords

Donation Time
Most of that was shot just up the road from me at Eloy (Skydive Arizona) The largest drop zone in the world. They have what is known as junk day. You can bring most any object and jump with it. They use the Shorts Skyvan. The Honda Civic was always a popular model. Rest assured I won't use any Sunbeams as a matter of fact I think my skydiving days are over all though the wing suits look tempting. I remember the fella with the white jump suit and the skyboard in that clip. His name was Rob Harris he was world champ with the board at the X games. He built quite a reputation but sadly was killed filming a Mountain Dew commercial in 1995, perhapes you remember it, low cut aways and landing on the roof and snow boarding away in Colorado. Mostly Hollywood crap but the cut aways were real. Most of that footage was probably Joe Jenning's stuff Rob's freind and partner/ cameraman.
Those two were like Simon and Garfunkel, Abbott and Costello, Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, they always knew what each other were thinking and created some amazing stuff in a very dangerous world.

Nickodell

Donation Time
As the Book says, if you take the pitcher too many times to the well .... like Paul Mantz did while filming Flight of the Phoenix (original one) after surviving numerous earlier stunts that were more dangerous.

Sometimes just being too damned sure of yourself is enough. Shane Panton, my closest RAF buddy and also Best Man at my wedding, used to scare me the few times he could persuade me to take a trip with him in a Chipmunk, his specialty being to grease it on right on the runway letters, or earlier, when landing. Said he didn't like taxying too far. Also used to like buzzing inhabitants of the remoter areas of Britain, reasoning that RAF planes didn't have registration numbers on the wings like civilian one do, and the serial numbers on a Chippie are pretty small so you couldn't read them from the ground without binoculars.

I used to reason with myself later: "This guy may not care about my life, but he must do about his own." But he gleefully flew into a hill in Wales two months after the wedding - probably trying to scare some sheep farmer. Silly bugger; he won the Sword of Honor at the Academy and would probably have retired an Air Marshall. Instead, he's been dead nearly 47 years.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Some guys just get too over confident in their own abilities. In particular I think of that air force pilot doing low level flying preparing for an airshow in a B-52 a few years ago, flying nearly sideways too low and you can guess the result. Video I saw made me wonder just what he was thinking.

Nickodell

Donation Time
The guy was a nut case. A hot shot pilot who regularly took it over the 100% limit of risk, and defined the cliche "death wish" to the extent that several officers refused to fly with him. He should have been grounded, but as a Lt. Col., he apparently had some sway. Or those who should have grounded him were too chicken. The manoeuver he attempted was impossible from the get go. Makes you wonder if he had decided to end it all there and then, and take several senior officers with him.