• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ground strap question

leigh

Donation Time
I've been over most areas of my S2 and haven't noticed the motor-frame or transmission-frame ground straps I've seen people mentioning in the forums. In my Triumph GT6 they're big honking braided wires that are impossible to miss so if Sunbeams are similar I'm thinking mine are gone and which could explain some of my electrical gremlins...

I also came across some info on another site that said S1-S2 cars had the transmission-frame ground strap in a different place than later cars but that it's better to put one where the later cars have it...

So in anticipation of having to put these in, I'm wondering if anyone has diagrams showing where they should go. Or, if not, if anyone could explain in a simple way for a mechanical dunce like me where I should place them...

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Put one end of the big braided strap under the head of one of the bolts that hold the tranny to the tranny bracket/ mount. Put the other end of the strap under the head of one of the bolts that hold the bracket to the frame

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Scrape or sand off the paint under the attach point and use some conductive grease for years of trouble free service.

leigh

Donation Time
Thanks so much - my project for tomorrow. Do you happen to know if there should be another one in the engine bay?

65beam

Donation Time
Thanks so much - my project for tomorrow. Do you happen to know if there should be another one in the engine bay?
If you look on the fire wall on the right hand side near the trans tunnel you'll find a captive nut welded to the interior of the fire wall and a bolt on the engine side. My cars have a ground cable bolted to the bell housing bolt near the bottom of the block and then is held in place on the body using the bolt on the fire wall. If you look to the right of the arm coming off the steering gear box you'll see the bolt I'm referring to. The fastbacks had a ground strap that bolted to the timing chain cover and then was attached at the same captive nut under the battery tray that was used for attaching the negative battery cable. 103_0077.JPG

leigh

Donation Time
I found it and put on the strap - thanks! Interesting history too of that bolt - would've never guessed it's history

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
For the benefit of others reading this thread, that bolt inside the engine bay is not present on Series V. Don't know about S3 and IV.
Tom

65beam

Donation Time
For the benefit of others reading this thread, that bolt inside the engine bay is not present on Series V. Don't know about S3 and IV.
Tom
The bolt is on our series 4 and was on the series 3 that we had but is not on our series 5. Chrysler probably saved a large chunk of change by doing away with this. It would be easy to drill thru the sheet metal and use a bolt to secure a ground strap in this area or secure a ground cable to one of the timing chain cover bolts and then using one of the bolts securing the motor mount to the crossmember.

Last edited:

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Good to know about the other Series. I agree it was a Chrysler cost savings. Just like changing round corners on hood to square, and not filling every seam. But I also agree with the Chrysler engineers. I can't see any purpose for the second strap.