• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Griffons 2006

skywords

Donation Time
Yes Virginia there really are some operational Griffons left in the world. Nick is that a Shackleton in the background with four Griffons?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9kZGTnl9uI

Now if this doesn't increase your pulse you might as well pack it in. Nick this will bring a tear to your eye, it did me. What tight formations. That proved the Griffons reliablity. I think that is a Victor in that short glimpse of a formation with those Shackletons. WOW. What an honor it must have been to be involved with that Nick. Where is that area looks to be North Alantic somewhere? I'm guessing you've had a cup or two of tea there Nick?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJaFXIzpO3w

Nickodell

Donation Time
Coffee, Rick; always coffee. Tea just doesn't survive in a thermos like coffee does. Couldn't spot a Victor in any of the shots, but I loved the ripping-canvas sound of the engines. There's something about the din from an open-exhaust V12, whether a Merlin, Griffon or Ferrari, that makes the juices flow.

R-R could wring incredible power out of the later marks of Merlin (over 2,000hp, continuous, and in one test around 2,400!), which is simply amazing for an engine just 3X the size of a 1975 Cadillac. However, even during the Merlin's development they foresaw the need for more potential, following the Hot Rod dictum that "There is no substitute for cubes." The Griffon, 30% larger at 35 liters, was similar to, but not just a "bored out" Merlin; it was an entirely new engine. The earliest Griffons produced well over 2,000hp (more than double the first Merlin's), and would undoubtedly have been developed to push out over 3,000, but the energence of the jet made further expenditure of resources unnecessary.

I wouldn't, however, describe it as reliable. Remember, it was a wartime engine rushed into production for the later models of Spitfire, three or four years faster than it would have been in peacetime. All marks of Lincoln (development of the Lancaster, and marine reconnaisance and anti-sub predecessor to the Shackleton) found them fuel and oil thirsty, noisy (most aircrew, especially pilots, suffered permanent high-frequency hearing deterioration) and temperamental with high-maintenance needs. In 1961, Shackleton MR.2's engines needed top overhauls every 400 hours (about every 24 missions) and went through a period of ejecting spark plugs from their cylinderheads. Some squadrons of 6 aircraft would change an engine every day. There were plans to replace them with the incredible Napier Nomad, but it never happened because the first jet-powered Nimrods (based on the DH Comet II) began to replace them in 1969.

Rick: Did you ever see a Nomad?

skywords

Donation Time
Nick
Did you watch the bottom You Tube link? It is footage of Shackletons and there is a formation flyby of Shackletons with a jet type at the rear. It is the scene where the officer salutes the formation. It maybe a Nimrod at the tail end probably a last flight of the Shackletons salute. This film has scenes of the back seat guys. It looks as if they are doing maritime duty but I think the aircraft are in Royal Air Force markings. Did they do that?

I have not seen a Nomad but will google it shortly.

Nickodell

Donation Time
The last plane is a Nimrod - the converted Comet II airliner used as the Marine Reconnaisance replacement for the Shak. And the RAF handles all maritime work except flying off carriers, which is the job of the Fleet Air Arm (ex-Royal Naval Air Service).

My two contacts with Lincolns, which were developments of the Lancaster, and later, with new fuselages, became Shackletons:

During the Bombardier part of my training I was stationed at RAF Yatesbury, in western England (near USAF base Fairford, with whom we played cricket and baseball in alternate months - but that is another story). Among Yatesbury's distinguished alumni were Guy (Dam Busters) Gibson, and Arthur (now Sir Arthur) C. Clarke, who wrote 2001: A Space Odyssey. It had an active airfield, and two Lincolns were parked in the hangar area, having been used by the Radio Fitters course students in the past. They were now off limits.

One moonless night, like a little kid, I couldn't resist taking a walk and getting into one of the Lincs through the gap under the fuselage where the radar scanner dome used to be. For a few minutes I played hangar pilot, moving the control spectacle and, going back in my imagination and gazing through the windshield at the starry night, to the night raids over the Ruhr or Berlin. Then I tried the bomb-aimer's prone position in the nose. Finally, I went all the way back and sat in the lonely tail gunner's position, and imagined myself as my uncle Ron, a scared 18-year-old, peering into the night, half-frozen, trying to spot the Me110 or Ju88 before they killed me. I thought of taking a souvenir from the plane, then thought better of it - could have cost me my commission.

Fast-forward three years. I was stationed at RAF Coningsby, in Lincolnshire (the county where most WWII RAF bomber stations were) for a few months in 1962. Coningsby was the home of 617 Squadron (The Dam Busters) after they left RAF Scampton. The early raids with the 12,000lb Tallboy bomb left from this station, and they still the had 1,000 yards of runway extension on the far side of the main road that ran past the airfield. In 1944, when they were taking off with Tallboys and full fuel load, the road was closed off and the takeoff run used all of the station's main runway, across the road, and part of the extension. When I was at Coningsby it was the home to 9 Sq. and 12 Sq., both equipped with Canberras. I was there on an Instructor's course before going to #232 OCU (Operational Conversion Unit) at Gaydon, where I helped teach crews converting to the Victor.

One day a pal of mine and I took a short trip one evening to the old, closed and abandoned RAF Woodhall Spa, which was also one of 617 Sq's bases in WWII (IIRC, where they took off from to drop the 22,000lb "Grand Slam"). If you recall the opening scene from Twelve O'Clock High", where Dean Jagger makes a sentimental trip back to his old WWII USAAF base, we experienced something eerily similar. As we disobeyed the KEEP OUT signs (hey, we were RAF officers, right?) and wandered along the weed-encroached runway and into the old watch tower, you could almost hear "Bless 'em all" being sung.

Then, as we stood on the crumbling balcony of the watch tower, where Station Commanders and assistants must have seen many Lancs off on their last trips, as if orderd up by Hollywood, in the half light, at about 10,000 feet, flew over what looked exactly like a Lancaster. It would have been a later Lincoln, of course, but it made the hair stand up on the back of our necks. "Christ," my buddy muttered, "what if he lands?" But the "ghost ship" flew serenely on into the distance and finally disappeared.

Utterly overcome, emotionally, we went back to our quarters and never told anyone; we didn't think they would believe us.

skywords

Donation Time
My first job as a mechanic was on this airplane and others for Transwest Air Express at the Oakland Airport. They were based at hanger 5 which was the old terminal from the 1930's and maybe earlier. I was living upstairs like a bum and going to A&P school during the day and doing the turnarounds on the Gooney Birds at night. It was hell but I really did not mind for I was young. It was kinda erie in that hanger upstairs in the many old abandoned offices where I slept knowing the likes of Lindberg and Amelia Earhart had frequented. I would eat my lunch at 3:00 am in the airplane of my choosing, maybe in the Lodestar one night or the B-25, Martin 404 the next. I would sit in the cockpits eating my peanut butter sandwiches and wonder what it would be like to fly those wonderful birds. The other half of hanger 5 was occupied by a nice fella named Mike Boge he restored WWII aircraft and would always show me things like a freshly overhauled Merlin from Jack Hovies shop or the new longerons he had just installed in the latest mustang he was restoring.

DC-3 100ZZ

http://sfahistory.org/larkinsVol21no6.htm

Nickodell

Donation Time
And more

Some thoughts:

Strange to think that the Griffon was originated in 1933, several years before the Merlin, but was shelved and only fitted to aircraft after that great engine had reached its peak of development.

On the same theme: the later Merlin had its accessories (generator, vacuum and hydraulic pumps, etc., plus oil lines), cluttering up the exterior, while the earlier Griffon was much neater, with few exterior oil lines, and accessories driven off a remotely mounted gearbox. Not a few Merlins were written off (usually with their aircraft) by oil lines fracturing from vibration fatigue.

Pity the poor sods who had lots of experience in Merlin Spits., applying the necessary rudder on takoff to counteract swing to the left, suddenly having to accomodate the Griffon with opposite rotation, swinging to the right. I wonder how many bought it by instinctively following the old way. In time (late summer 1945), the Griffon 80 series appeared with dual contra-rotating props, which eliminated the swing. They helped, also, to turn that 5,000 lbs/ft of torque into useful thrust.

This also removed a big problem in the Seafire (carrier Spit.) In the single-prop version the swing took it to the right, exactly where the carrier's "island" was located, which could ruin your day if you had to gun the engine due to a missed approach.
Seafire3.jpg
OH SHEEEEEET!

Griffon-engined fighters, such as the Seafang (as Spitfire designer R.J. Mitchell would have said: "Just the kind of bloody silly name they would choose") and Firefly served through the Korean war, and some were still in use by the RAF Reserve in 1957.

Air Speed Record: Ed Browning, owner of the Red Baron (Bah!) racing team, got engine expert Randy Scoville to shoehorn a modiified (e.g. a Merlin intake manifold) Griffon into an also modified (e.g. firewall moved back 9") P-51D Mustang for an attempt on the world piston-driven airspeed record. On Aug. 14, 1979, Steve Hinton set a new record at 499.018 mph. You can almost hear the "fer chr*st sake, not 500!?" Had the temperature been lower, and with less turbulence, 525 mph would have been achieved. Power output was reckoned at around 4,000hp.

Racing: Racing the same plane at Reno almost cost Hinton his life. The blower gear broke and pieces jammed the oil pump and a rod broke. With no oil pressure Hinton could not feather the prop, which acted as an air brake and he crash landed in the desert. He was lucky to escape the resulting fireball with serious injuries.

Turbocharged Griffons: R-R did some research, using a GEC turbo-supercharger. However, it was not used in the conventional way, directly boosting the intake charge, but to drive the Griffon's normally gear-driven supercharger through a one-way drive. Some of the turbo's air was also diverted to cool the exhaust manifold.

T

trev0006

Thanks for posting the videos.

Yes Virginia there really are some operational Griffons left in the world. Nick is that a Shackleton in the background with four Griffons?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9kZGTnl9uItire

Now if this doesn't increase your pulse you might as well pack it in. Nick this will bring a tear to your eye, it did me. What tight formations. That proved the Griffons reliablity. I think that is a Victor in that short glimpse of a formation with those Shackletons. WOW. What an honor it must have been to be involved with that Nick. Where is that area looks to be North Alantic somewhere? I'm guessing you've had a cup or two of tea there Nick?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJaFXIzpO3wcar