• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Great Forum

SV Dick

Donation Time
Thanks for adding this forum. I have a very original late Series V that folks have seen at a couple of previous Invasions. I would be happy to provide pictures (and have done so) of the car to help those wanting to see what an unmolested car looks like in aid of their own restorations.

An interesting question that arises for late Series V is what is factory original? During the last production days, I understand, is that Alpine parts were running out and parts were taken from other production lines (e.g., Tiger). For example, my Series V has a 6 bladed fan, Tiger headlight hoods, a different brake booster, etc. I am quite confident that the previous two owners did not make these type of modifications.

Sownman

Donation Time
An interesting question that arises for late Series V is what is factory original? During the last production days, I understand, is that Alpine parts were running out and parts were taken from other production lines (e.g., Tiger). For example, my Series V has a 6 bladed fan, Tiger headlight hoods, a different brake booster, etc. I am quite confident that the previous two owners did not make these type of modifications.

Please clarify. I know of no such thing as a seperate Tiger headlight frame, unless you are referring to the non hooded Mk2 style. Did such a frame ever properly get installed on a new Alpine ?

Steve

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks for adding this forum. I have a very original late Series V that folks have seen at a couple of previous Invasions. I would be happy to provide pictures (and have done so) of the car to help those wanting to see what an unmolested car looks like in aid of their own restorations.

I've never thought of the non-peaked headlight doors as being "taken" from the Tiger, but rather a "natural evolution" of the Alpine. The elimination of fins and Sunbeam lettering above the grill and round doors and boot and bonnet. I've always thought they were just trying to make the Alpine look "plainer" than the original "style" of the early Alpines.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor

Hi Dick, It would be nice to see pictures of your rubber mats and the center console (Was that rubber also?). Like yours, my V was in the 1,200 made during the last two months of production, and like most, it's been refitted with carpet. I've read where the rubber mats are a little expensive to reproduce.

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
So the rubber mats aren't a sports tourer piece of kit and the carpet a GT fitment? I always thought that was the difference? My very common SV is an April '66 car and had rubber mats.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I think the rubber mats were standard for all but GT and Tigers.

Mats covered floor space; carpet covered the gearbox hump and the side rails coming down from the door jams.

Four mats total: front each side; rear each side.

Rubber mats make sense for convertibles that are used for more than concours trailer queens.

Rain happens and carpet assists in the development of rusty floorpans.

Mats look good too.

A nice set of rubber mats looks very cool :)

I'm using the remnant of factory mats to attempt to pattern some current mats and, so far, so good....

SV Dick

Donation Time
Hi Dick, It would be nice to see pictures of your rubber mats and the center console (Was that rubber also?). Like yours, my V was in the 1,200 made during the last two months of production, and like most, it's been refitted with carpet. I've read where the rubber mats are a little expensive to reproduce.

Here is are pictures of the car, the headlight rim, and the mats. I turned back the carpet over the center console to show what is underneath. It is about a quarter inch thick of what looks to be a fiber based heat insulating material.

Others can advise whether the rims are stock Alpine or Tiger. Some folks at an Invasion in Dayton a few years ago commented that they were Tiger rims, but I'm not an expert.

Attachments

• Aug 09 001_thumb5.jpg
    Aug 09 001_thumb5.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Aug 09 056_thumb1.jpg
    Aug 09 056_thumb1.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Aug 09 059_thumb1.jpg
    Aug 09 059_thumb1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 59

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Rubber mats would be SO nice to have. About 10 years ago I sent a motor mount (for an old Buick) to a rubber company in Denver, NC (I forget their name) and they returned it like new. I wonder how much difference there is between making a motor mount and reproducing this fairly simple rubber mat. If I recall correctly, those mats were pretty thin. Carpeted console with rubber mats. As good as it gets. Great photo, Dick.